Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

I agree with leaving the heating pad on in the mornings. I have been turning mine off about noon to save on electric bill...they don't seem to need it anymore when the coop is reaching 102 in the afternoon. (I'm in Texas. This is normal temp for August) I had to run a fan across some frozen bottles of water today to cool them down because they were starting to pant.

But I do turn it back on about 6 -8pm when I do my last check for the evening. The temp is still in the 90's at last check. They are usually huddled in a little ball together outside and away from the pad, all 13 of them but at least I can sleep well knowing they can get under or on top before morning if they need to. I lost my last chick because it was outside the MHP and was very cold one morning. It was weakened by other issues early on but chilling did it in. It was the runt and probably got pushed outside.

However, they *might* need it during they day if they were to get wet. I had to clean one's bottom today for pasty butt and she got a little wet on butt, and legs. She went to stand on the MHP and I realized she must have gotten chilled. Even though it was 102! So I turned the pad back on and stuck her under. She stayed there for a short nap and then was almost dry when she came back out. I'm dripping with sweat and they get chilled...go figure!

i have a question i have some leghorn chicks that are a week old today(the 3rd) and when their 2 weeks old i should have 10 ducklings arriving from Metzer Farms and i dont like brooding chicks and ducks together so i was wondering since by the time the ducks get here the chicks will only need temps of 85-90 if i could move them outside in a dog ex pen during the day and then do MHP in my coop for them at night if they need it? cause the duckling will need the brooder and i dont want them together and its nice and warm outside so i'd only have to worry about it raining with the chicks outside and not really temps

If your nighttime temps have been like mine, you probably could get away with just a huddle box in the coop. It will concentrate their body heat quite nicely.

Quote:
To the original question about how long seeds can last. If you can put them in the refrigerator inside a ziplok or other airtight bag, with a dessicant package inside to absorb any little moisture that might have been absorbed by the packages, the seeds will last the longest. However, I've had seeds that were stored completely incorrectly and still sprouted and grew veggies 5-6 years after expiration date. There are a few seeds that are really only good the same year as the package is marked, and parsnips and moonflowers (a flower) are two of those. Other than a few things, though, seeds do last a long time.

That's what I figured, I just wanted to be sure though. Thanks.

I'll post pics of my newest arrivals when they arrive which should be here (alive and healthy, I hope) tomorrow or Friday.
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
jumpy.gif
love.gif

My wife bought a bunch of seed packets 2 years ago. No time to rip out the dense grass in the old garden that year or last. Last year I only planted some Fortex beans, cucumber and Red Kuri squash seeds that I got from a friend. And one tomato plant I bought at the farmer's market.

Got busy on the garden this year. Every one of the seed packets that were packed for 2014 with a "use by" date of Dec 2014 germinated very well. They are, after all, seeds. Natures packing for plants that may not have the proper growing conditions for a few years.

I agree with leaving the heating pad on in the mornings. I have been turning mine off about noon to save on electric bill...they don't seem to need it anymore when the coop is reaching 102 in the afternoon. (I'm in Texas. This is normal temp for August) I had to run a fan across some frozen bottles of water today to cool them down because they were starting to pant.

But I do turn it back on about 6 -8pm when I do my last check for the evening. The temp is still in the 90's at last check. They are usually huddled in a little ball together outside and away from the pad, all 13 of them but at least I can sleep well knowing they can get under or on top before morning if they need to. I lost my last chick because it was outside the MHP and was very cold one morning. It was weakened by other issues early on but chilling did it in. It was the runt and probably got pushed outside.

However, they *might* need it during they day if they were to get wet. I had to clean one's bottom today for pasty butt and she got a little wet on butt, and legs. She went to stand on the MHP and I realized she must have gotten chilled. Even though it was 102! So I turned the pad back on and stuck her under. She stayed there for a short nap and then was almost dry when she came back out. I'm dripping with sweat and they get chilled...go figure!

If the NIGHT time temps are in the 90s I wouldn't have the pad turned on EVER. They MAY go under for 'closeness' but they sure don't need heat. And if the temps are in the 70s, I wouldn't go higher than "mid-range" and see how the chicks take, or not, to the MHP at night.

Ok, my newest chicks are 17 days old, getting feathered very well, I have the heating pad on the lowest setting and when I go out for final head count and lock up they are usually sleeping in the very front of their cave mostly out of it. Do you think they still need heat? I'm in no rush, but I'm curious for other opinions.

Ok, my newest chicks are 17 days old, getting feathered very well, I have the heating pad on the lowest setting and when I go out for final head count and lock up they are usually sleeping in the very front of their cave mostly out of it. Do you think they still need heat? I'm in no rush, but I'm curious for other opinions.

I would seem you do not if they are not sleeping in it. You don't have your location in your Profile so I have to ask: What are the ambient temps at night? Some places get DOWN to 90F at night this time of year. Their 2+ week old chicks sure don't need a heated pad in their cave.

Here in balmy Wyoming when mine are about that age, with nighttime temps in the 50s and 60s, mine is turned down to 2 - sometimes 3 if it's an unusually cold night. If they are puddling and cheeping at me when I got out to lock up for the night, I'll pop it up one, but I usually don't have to.

Here in balmy Wyoming when mine are about that age, with nighttime temps in the 50s and 60s, mine is turned down to 2 - sometimes 3 if it's an unusually cold night. If they are puddling and cheeping at me when I got out to lock up for the night, I'll pop it up one, but I usually don't have to.

I think that's the first time 'balmy' and 'Wyoming' have been used in the same sentence.

I'm in southwest MI, our low temps at night are abt 65-70 degrees daytime temps in the high 80's low 90's.

They are cooped in a barn and the barn stays cooler during the day and warmer at night. I don't have an exact temp though I am always comfortable in there lol but I don't have feathers!
1f602.png

Back
Top Bottom