Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Have you given them a plug of sod yet?  Huge benefits to be had from that.

Yes I have! They seemed more afraid of it than anything, but I'll definitely try again!
263a.png

Donna

I am so happy for you, the joy is absolutely palpable in your efforts and knowing you are finding joy right now means that much more. It is truly amazing to first timers to realize just how much pure pleasure they bring and how much personality they have.
I think your pan sounds like a great idea to get them some fresh air, small exposure to the soil they'll be living on, etc.
Not to mention the benefit of the enjoyment to be had watching them with it, lol. The only nice thing I can say about just how wet it has been here this spring (excessively so even for this area) is how easy it is to pull a big clump of plant and get a nice sod ball on it for the chicks. By next weekend the run should be finished and they'll be in/out at will all day

I was first bitten by the chicken bug when I went to "chicken sit" with my nephew's flock, but this is my first time being around new chicks and watching their unique personalities emerge. I'm just having so much fun with them! Another benefit from having them is that I'm losing weight! I want to give them shelter from preditors when they're big enough to free range, so I've been steadily working at getting 15 trees and shrubs planted for them, plus all of the beneficial herbs I've planted for them. Being diabetic, this is bringing my sugar levels down as well.
1f603.png

Donna

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can provide some advice. I have always used traditional heat lamps to brood my chicks in the garage, but this year I purchased the Premier Chick Brooder Heating Plate - 12" x 12" through Amazon - I just wanted something safer. This year's batch of chicks has been using the heat lamp for 2 weeks now, and were happily running around the brooder, very active and doing well. They'd "sunbathe" too when they needed a warm up, but were doing well in that set up.

The heating plate arrived last night, so I pre-warmed it up and put it inside the brooder. The back is at a low level and the front is at a higher level to accommodate different sized chicks. At first I kept the red light on, but just put it off to the side so they still received light, but no heat. All HECK broke loose - they were miserable. I kept putting them under the heating plate and they wanted nothing to do with it. After about 3-4 hours they finally got cold enough that they all huddled under there. I noticed that turning on the garage light helped because I think loosing their normal heat source and the light they were used too was just too much of an adjustment at one time.

They all made it through the night ok, and this morning at 6am they were still huddled up under the plate.

Here's my concern: They used to be active and roam freely around the brooder, playing and sunbathing and eating and having a great time. Now they're stuck under that heating plate because they're cold. It doesn't seem healthy to make them stay stationary in one single spot for warmth... I want them to be active and happy. They're clearly cold when they come out from under the heating plate.

For reference, I have 4 chicks in there: a 1 week old, 2 week old, and two 2.5 week olds. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best, Kerry

I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can provide some advice. I have always used traditional heat lamps to brood my chicks in the garage, but this year I purchased the Premier Chick Brooder Heating Plate - 12" x 12" through Amazon - I just wanted something safer. This year's batch of chicks has been using the heat lamp for 2 weeks now, and were happily running around the brooder, very active and doing well. They'd "sunbathe" too when they needed a warm up, but were doing well in that set up.

The heating plate arrived last night, so I pre-warmed it up and put it inside the brooder. The back is at a low level and the front is at a higher level to accommodate different sized chicks. At first I kept the red light on, but just put it off to the side so they still received light, but no heat. All HECK broke loose - they were miserable. I kept putting them under the heating plate and they wanted nothing to do with it. After about 3-4 hours they finally got cold enough that they all huddled under there. I noticed that turning on the garage light helped because I think loosing their normal heat source and the light they were used too was just too much of an adjustment at one time.

They all made it through the night ok, and this morning at 6am they were still huddled up under the plate.

Here's my concern: They used to be active and roam freely around the brooder, playing and sunbathing and eating and having a great time. Now they're stuck under that heating plate because they're cold. It doesn't seem healthy to make them stay stationary in one single spot for warmth... I want them to be active and happy. They're clearly cold when they come out from under the heating plate.

For reference, I have 4 chicks in there: a 1 week old, 2 week old, and two 2.5 week olds. Any advice would be appreciated.

Best, Kerry
They are used to light 24/7. The sudden change in light probably has them a bit freaked out. They will adjust. And they will acclimate to their new heat source and the cooler ambient temps of the brooder.

Quote: Congrats on the health benefits you are seeing! You will also see benefits in your kitchen when they start laying eggs! I don't do much baking here, b/c hubby is a diabetic, but we sure do like those fresh eggs! Do you have a garden? An other huge benefit for human and chickens alike.

Best, Kerry
Kerry, I really can't help you. Have no experience with the heat plate. You might try calling the manufacturer. Or start a new thread and title it so it gets response from heat plate users. I can tell you that chickens DON'T LIKE CHANGE! Especially being plunged into darkness when all they know is bright light 24/7. Put your hand under that heat plate, and see how it feels to you.

Yes I have! They seemed more afraid of it than anything, but I'll definitely try again!
263a.png

Donna

Their reaction to new things has to cycle through "is it going to eat me" before they can get to "nope, so maybe I can eat it".....that's pretty much how they approach everything, lol.

Paying my dues!
1f601.png

I caved and let my kids get a head start on our little flock, so we have a few breeds. They started in a huge tote modified slightly, and didn't leave the MHP for several hours when they first came home. They have been quiet every night since.

And yes, I did cover it all with press & seal. It has worked a charm.

The tote set-up lasted about 2 weeks, which was what you all had taught me to expect :) At that point due to some suspected roosters, we ended up with two new babies and obviously needed more space. Credit to @oldhen2345 for the idea of the giant wardrobe moving box. I wouldn't have thrown mine away if I'd known!
1f601.png
Still, a good option for $12!

Of course we added the rest of them plus food and water
1f609.png

Because they were different breeds and are slightly different ages, they are all at varied stages of feathering in - the MHP was easily adjustable not only in heat level, but in its ability to height adjust. I have a higher side and lower side, and they all find a comfortable place to sleep.

The only thing lacking in our flock right now is Australorps (cough*chickenmath) and you bet I'd do it this way again!

Thanks again for all the information and help available in this thread. It has been invaluable!

Last edited:
I know this is an old thread, but I'm hoping someone can provide some advice. I have always used traditional heat lamps to brood my chicks in the garage, but this year I purchased the [COLOR=0066C0]Premier Chick Brooder Heating Plate - 12" x 12"[/COLOR] through Amazon - I just wanted something safer. This year's batch of chicks has been using the heat lamp for 2 weeks now, and were happily running around the brooder, very active and doing well. They'd "sunbathe" too when they needed a warm up, but were doing well in that set up. 

Here's my concern:  They used to be active and roam freely around the brooder, playing and sunbathing and eating and having a great time. Now they're stuck under that heating plate because they're cold. It doesn't seem healthy to make them stay stationary in one single spot for warmth... I want them to be active and happy. They're clearly cold when they come out from under the heating plate. 

Best, Kerry

So I can only share my experience, I know there are many experts on here and the heating pad experience differs from the heat plate. I raised 15 Cornish chicks through some early spring cold temps this year. I had the 12x12 heat plate and called Premier to chat. Needed to know how cold ambient temp could be to use with plate. I asked about ambient temps between 30-50 and was told 50 was better because at 30, they'd spend most of their time under the plate instead of being out and about exploring, eating, drinking. That made sense to me, and using a big brooder, I hung a heat lamp high a few feet away from the heat plate to let them pick where they'd prefer. Being Cornish, I really wanted to work hard to get them moving right from the start and not huddled in one place. Vast majority of time they'd be sunning themselves under the lamp (much to my chagrin) rather than the plate. After getting some burns on the tops of their (minimally feathered Cornish) wings, I actually ended up returning the heat plate. I have six day-old layer chicks now under the heating pad now, giving it a try! So far so good. I'm enjoying not worrying about burning the house down at least.

Best, Kerry

Too bad you spent the money on the heat plate when a MHP is cheaper and more effective. And it isn't an old thread, it has been ACTIVE for quite some time.

I posted my new chicks and MHP over on Backyard herds because I'm a charter member of BBB and figure preaching there was more useful than preaching to the choir here
wink.png
. I DID have a broody, RIGHT on schedule but she bailed on me when I took her out of the nest box and put her in the brooding area a few days before the chicks arrived
he.gif
Sure did like it last time when I had a broody raise the girls. But MHP to the rescue!!!

https://www.backyardherds.com/threads/bruces-journal.34651/page-54#post-490831

Hiya @Blooie !!!!!!!!
hugs.gif

Back
Top Bottom