Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

Had a heat lamp mishap. Lost a couple chicks. Coulda been a lot worse.

Had been reading this thread. Got what I needed and put an mhp together. Not as fancy as few on here.
But chicks seem to like it.

They were being awful quiet looked over and
20190402_191922.jpg

They were all asleep on top of it.

Had a heat lamp mishap. Lost a couple chicks. Coulda been a lot worse.

Sorry about your chicks, glad it wasn't any worse. I can't tell from the pic, but make sure you have 2 sides open on the mhp, so none get trapped inside. You may have to put your hand in front of the mhp, for them to stay underneath. Once they feel the warmth, they will start to go under on their own.

Ok thanks.
They have in and out most of day today. Just sleeping on top this evening.
Sorry about your chicks, glad it wasn't any worse. I can't tell from the pic, but make sure you have 2 sides open on the mhp, so none get trapped inside. You may have to put your hand in front of the mhp, for them to stay underneath. Once they feel the warmth, they will start to go under on their own.

I just got 70 chicks last Tuesday. My rule is no more than 25 chicks to a 12x24 MHP. I have 3 brooders set up with the chicks spread out evenly between them. I thought about one large brooder with the 3 MHPs but thought that the chicks might try to crowd into one and lead to crushed chicks. It might work but I didn’t want to take the chance.

THIS!!! :love

Three years ago, I got a double Cackle Hatchery Surprise Pack. 104 chicks and poults, alive upon arrival. I had constructed a 16" x 6', 3-level brooder and with one MHP in each, it worked very well. The second pic shows the interior of one level. I didn't butt the MHP up against the far end, giving them space to escape the mosh pit. The kitchen towel draped over the top was easy to replace and launder, and it allowed a soft flap on either end to help keep the warmth inside.

WP_20160518_003.jpg WP_20160518_020.jpg

I moved the wee ones around a lot, so none of them became strangers to the others, emptying each level into the others for cleaning and then redistributing them after. (I only have 14 coming this year and I'm going to reconstruct the tenement to 2 levels, leaving space to hang waterers. The center door was a mistake as well, since my arms are of normal length and the little scamps eluded me in the far ends. Clearing out a level was more time-consuming than it needed to be. Not sure yet if I want two doors with a central removable divider or a section blocked off at one end for supplies.)

MHP ROCKS!!! :wee

THIS!!! :love

Three years ago, I got a double Cackle Hatchery Surprise Pack. 104 chicks and poults, alive upon arrival. I had constructed a 16" x 6', 3-level brooder and with one MHP in each, it worked very well. The second pic shows the interior of one level. I didn't butt the MHP up against the far end, giving them space to escape the mosh pit. The kitchen towel draped over the top was easy to replace and launder, and it allowed a soft flap on either end to help keep the warmth inside.

View attachment 1724346 View attachment 1724347

I moved the wee ones around a lot, so none of them became strangers to the others, emptying each level into the others for cleaning and then redistributing them after. (I only have 14 coming this year and I'm going to reconstruct the tenement to 2 levels, leaving space to hang waterers. The center door was a mistake as well, since my arms are of normal length and the little scamps eluded me in the far ends. Clearing out a level was more time-consuming than it needed to be. Not sure yet if I want two doors with a central removable divider or a section blocked off at one end for supplies.)

MHP ROCKS!!! :wee
Kitchen towels are perfect for mhp/cookie rack set ups, I cut a small hole for each of the four legs (threaded rod, washer and nut top &bottom for easy adjustment) and that holds it securely on place

Back
Top Bottom