Mama Heating Pad in the Brooder (Picture Heavy) - UPDATE

That is a great idea, I have an old dog crate I could use or I could even use one of our old baby gates!
I used an extra large dog crate and lined it with cardboard so that the chicks couldn't get out between the bars when they were tiny. The cardboard also helped contain the dust, a bit. It's easy to hang things from the top of the crate too, like the feeder and waterer and a shiny toy to peck at.

I used a dowel, slid through the side bars as a "teaching roost" when they were about 3 weeks old. At first it was on the bedding, then up on the lowest cross bar, then on the second bar. It was fun to watch them figure out how to jump up on it.

I used an extra large dog crate and lined it with cardboard so that the chicks couldn't get out between the bars when they were tiny. The cardboard also helped contain the dust, a bit. It's easy to hang things from the top of the crate too, like the feeder and waterer and a shiny toy to peck at.

I used a dowel, slid through the side bars as a "teaching roost" when they were about 3 weeks old. At first it was on the bedding, then up on the lowest cross bar, then on the second bar. It was fun to watch them figure out how to jump up on it.
That sounds like it would work really well! Our dog crate is quite a large plastic one. I think if I use that, I will take the top off (it's pretty deep), or I'll use a tote. Either way, I'll try to rig it up so that I have some way of tying the feeder/waterer to keep the food/water from spilling, that's a really good idea!

@LightMadeLiquid I assume you live in a somewhat warm climate? Your profile doesn't show a location.

I've always used plain pine shavings in the coop and the brooder area. The first couple of days I put paper towels down on newspaper when the kids are in a box in the house. After that they go to the brooder area in the coop with fresh shavings.

I get my girls in early June. I've found that works best for me as I tried late April/early May twice and all but one of those chicks started laying in the fall then quit for the winter. The June chicks have always laid through their first winter.
That's crazy, I got mine in September last year at 6 weeks old they started laying in January and haven't stopped

I’m sorry if any of the following has been addressed in this thread - yeah I’m not reading through 1100 pages!!

I am going to have to brood outside this year. First chicks are coming the week of the 29th. Last frost date is April 15th. I’m in VA. Still having nights in the 30s.

My plan was to use my heat plate (a “vrooder”) and a heat pad underneath it with and old towel on top, all wrapped in press-n-seal. The towel is draped down on three sides. I came across a K&H heat pad (hard). I’ve been testing it out this afternoon and have a digital thermometer that records highs and lows under there tonight. First off, nothing has burned down :D. However, so far the temp has only stayed 70-80 degrees (Initially just had a plain old bulb thermometer under there.). The K&H is supposed to get up to 102, I think. Is my set up faulty in some way? Or might it have to do with the fact that the brooder heat plate needs to be touching (the chick) to transmit heat?

I’m sorry if any of the following has been addressed in this thread - yeah I’m not reading through 1100 pages!!

I am going to have to brood outside this year. First chicks are coming the week of the 29th. Last frost date is April 15th. I’m in VA. Still having nights in the 30s.

My plan was to use my heat plate (a “vrooder”) and a heat pad underneath it with and old towel on top, all wrapped in press-n-seal. The towel is draped down on three sides. I came across a K&H heat pad (hard). I’ve been testing it out this afternoon and have a digital thermometer that records highs and lows under there tonight. First off, nothing has burned down :D. However, so far the temp has only stayed 70-80 degrees (Initially just had a plain old bulb thermometer under there.). The K&H is supposed to get up to 102, I think. Is my set up faulty in some way? Or might it have to do with the fact that the brooder heat plate needs to be touching (the chick) to transmit heat?
I don't know about brooder heat plates, but heating pads don't heat the air like a lamp. Ok, they do a little, but not too much. They heat the chick via direct contact (snuggling up against it). I "tested" my set up by sticking my hand in there and seeing how warm it felt. Figured "very warm and cozy" was about right - and my chicks were happy. They were inside though, so high 60s/low 70s temps as a starting point.

Or might it have to do with the fact that the brooder heat plate needs to be touching (the chick) to transmit heat?
Yes...
...and why pad or plate needs to have adjustable legs to accommodate the growing chicks.
Measuring the air temp under the plate won't do, measure the surface of the plate.

Measuring the air temp under the plate won't do, measure the surface of the plate.
I haven’t yet gone to the coop this morning. Might be kinda silly to ask, but to measure surface temp, do I just flip the plate and plop the thermometer on it ... ?

In theory, though, should the covered heat plate/heat pad combo work though in cold temps? I’ve only read about using the flexible human heat pads for the mama hen cave set up.

AmeliaBedilia - yes the heat plate gets hot but still touchable. The K&H though - was warm but I didn’t think it was 102 degrees warm ...?

to measure surface temp, do I just flip the plate and plop the thermometer on it ... ?
Yep. Or use an infrared temp gauge.

In theory, though, should the covered heat plate/heat pad combo work though in cold temps?
That is hard to say. One of the commercial plates say not to use below 50°F ambient temps, but that might just a be a CYA.
Draping a towel over the sides might help in colder temps.
I've used it in the 30's and piled some straw on top and over both ends, [ic in here:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/articles/integrating-new-birds-at-4-weeks-old.72603/

Please post pics of your setup and a link to the exact pad you are using.

I’m in VA
Oh, and while I'm demanding things :gig .....
Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
1616332307346.png

Please add your general geographical location to your profile.
It's easy to do, and then it's always there!
Done!

Temps - only low eighties on both the Vrooder heat plate and the K&H pad.
Pretty sure this is the pad - not outside to check exact model.
https://khpet.com/collections/heated-farm-mats/products/thermo-peep-heated-pad
The Vrooder:
https://incubatorwarehouse.com/vrooder-heat-plate-only.html

Pics:
390C1DC2-3A7F-4DE7-B5A5-E11FF99D52B7.jpeg

0F77B6F8-8854-4C72-B297-5D0362F34AF1.jpeg

The K&H pad is underneath and the brooder plate is not more than a couple inches or so above.

It was just below freezing last night. Someone wrote in an MPH article that you need courage for this ... yeah I’m failing at that :rolleyes:

I can certainly get some hay or straw to pile over the whole thing, as that is very insulating. Or I can get to WallyWorld and find a human heating pad (tho usually they have everything except what I’m looking for ...). Ordering from Amazon - shipping is really spotty getting here in time for me to test things out before the chicks arrive.

Back
Top Bottom