Mama hen is abandoning babies after 4 1/2 weeks

Purelychicks

Songster
Nov 15, 2022
Arkansas
She was a great mom, but all of a sudden attacking babies aggressively, and when I let her out for free time, poof, she’s off with the rest of the flock. What do I do? The babies cry and cry and cry when she leaves them. She doesn’t attack them constantly, but it’s becoming a bit of an issue. Her comb is also a bit pale

I've had broody hens wean their chicks as young as 3 weeks, others wait for over two months. 4-1/2 weeks sounds pretty normal to me. What can you do? See how they get along in the flock without her. Even my 3 week olds did great on their own but they were raised by the broody in the flock. If yours were not raised with the flock now you need to integrate them.

I've had broody hens wean their chicks as young as 3 weeks, others wait for over two months. 4-1/2 weeks sounds pretty normal to me. What can you do? See how they get along in the flock without her. Even my 3 week olds did great on their own but they were raised by the broody in the flock. If yours were not raised with the flock now you need to integrate them.
I’m not sure how big the chicks are supposed to be, but they are not even really much bigger than newborns. They still have fluff feathers and are quite small. Their mom is a bantam but only one of her chicks is a bantam. I can’t put the chicks in the coop till they’re much bigger, because I have snake problems in the coop. If I let them in the yard unsupervised the hawk will eat more of her babies. 🤷‍♀️

My Yokohama mix hen Yokie Jr is an experienced mother and has raised 2 batches of chicks over the past few years. She is currently raising one that is a week old. She is a good mom for about 6 weeks, then she starts chasing the chicks away. This year I had a broody Marans hen, Muffin, and I gave her 2 chicks to raised. She was a first time mom and took care of them for a little over 4 weeks. She never pecked or chased them away and still spends a lot of time with them, she just stopped taking care of them. All hens are different.

I’m not sure how big the chicks are supposed to be, but they are not even really much bigger than newborns. They still have fluff feathers and are quite small. Their mom is a bantam but only one of her chicks is a bantam. I can’t put the chicks in the coop till they’re much bigger, because I have snake problems in the coop. If I let them in the yard unsupervised the hawk will eat more of her babies. 🤷‍♀️
How many chicks are left?

They need a secure coop area and covered outdoor pen where they will be able to see the adults without being harmed by them.

I have a secure coop with lining and everything, snakes still get in. There’s 3 left
That might not be enough to stay outside and warm.

So there are few options left, such as taking them inside your house or securing their little coop and run with hardwarecloth all around.

It's not secure if things are getting in. Any photos of your chick coop set up?

Regardless of where you house the chicks, the hen is done with them and should not be forced to stay with them. At 4 1/2 weeks (and with summer temps) the chicks do not need her anymore either.

It's not secure if things are getting in. Any photos of your chick coop set up?

Regardless of where you house the chicks, the hen is done with them and should not be forced to stay with them. At 4 1/2 weeks (and with summer temps) the chicks do not need her anymore either.
I don’t have a “chick coop” I have a large walk in coop, and a small coop I use for sick chickens. I guess she doesn’t want them, but they cry all day when I take her away from them.

Back
Top Bottom