Mandarin Duck Nesting Box

VirulentVulpine

Songster
Aug 4, 2019
The nesting box I ordered for my pair of mandarins arrived today, very happy with the quality of it. Ignore the purple one on the right, my cousin wanted to try making one herself out of cardboard. ;)

I’m a bit confused as to whether or not the ramp I’ve added (since my birds wings are clipped) is too steep for them. It seems to me like I’ll need to add something for the female to to grip onto while walking up it.

They’re in an altered stall of my barn for now but their outdoor aviary is almost finished. I bet they’ll be very happy to have a bigger swimming area.
My male is also molting into his eclipse plumage— does this mean he’s done breeding?

Attachments

• 72B613BF-609F-4E2E-A5AF-C4652AF9D0FF.jpeg
    72B613BF-609F-4E2E-A5AF-C4652AF9D0FF.jpeg
    902.5 KB · Views: 72
  • B89398AD-0A49-4104-8214-3B13003E1177.jpeg
    B89398AD-0A49-4104-8214-3B13003E1177.jpeg
    535.9 KB · Views: 33
The nesting box I ordered for my pair of mandarins arrived today, very happy with the quality of it. Ignore the purple one on the right, my cousin wanted to try making one herself out of cardboard. ;)

I’m a bit confused as to whether or not the ramp I’ve added (since my birds wings are clipped) is too steep for them. It seems to me like I’ll need to add something for the female to to grip onto while walking up it.

They’re in an altered stall of my barn for now but their outdoor aviary is almost finished. I bet they’ll be very happy to have a bigger swimming area.
My male is also molting into his eclipse plumage— does this mean he’s done breeding?
It looks nice! I'd add some bars for her to grip.
The drake looks pretty rough. They should never molt this time of year.
Did you have a supplemental light/lamp during winter?

It looks nice! I'd add some bars for her to grip.
The drake looks pretty rough. They should never molt this time of year.
Did you have a supplemental light/lamp during winter?
Thanks, I was worrying about that too. I had lights running normally during winter, but maybe the lack of UVB/natural lighting is why he’s molting early?

Back
Top Bottom