Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Hay, I don't know if its a girl or boy yet. Now that the duckling has hatch I can move them to the bigger aviary, but will wait a little.

my one egg under the hen that I left hatch last night but the ones in the incubator haven't yet.

You should not put chickens with your ornamental ducks if possible.

Is the coloring on your hen just the typical buff coloring? If she isn't outdoors getting sunlight then that would make sense why it appears dark.

They nessasarily need ramps. My Mandy's never have had then and they breed fine I built my nest boxes diffrent and went away from the hole. They don't realy need the wood duck hole. The tiny hole is to keep predators out more or less in the wild. I'll see if I can finde a picture of one of my boxes for you.

Hello everyone, I am a first time mandarin duck owner and wanted to see what you guys were feeding your ducks. I meanwhile have been feeding them scratch grain mixed with wild game feed. Should i continue to feed them this? thank you..

Leave ducklings with mom when they hatch or take them away? I have 10 mandarins, 5 ducks and 5 drakes, 1 dominant drake has 3 ducks to himself and there are 2 other pairs, there's about 45 eggs between them at the minute in 5 different nest boxes, only one duck is sitting at the minute but I expect another to be sitting very soon as she has lined the nest box with her breast feathers. If and when ducklings hatch should I leave all alone? Been told the the drakes can be aggressive towards the young ducklings and I should remove them all to a brooder setup. They are all in an aviary about 25' x 11' with large pond 8' x 6' and this is my first breeding season.
Take the ducklings away from the parents. Mandarin ducklings are one of the easiest to raise. Since this is your first time buy them meal worms give it to them for about a week or two. Mazuri is the best feed for them as well. Keep the brooder as clean as possible.put the food in the water and on the ducklings apart from an actual food bowl for them. A reason mazuri is a good choice is that it will float in the water and not dissolve away.

Last edited:
Everything I have read say mandarin ducklings aren't easy but everyone is different. :)
I have a male and a femal, does that mean I have to take out the ducklings or can they stay in their cause I only have two mandarins?
Hm. Chances are that you read information from people who don't know what they are talking about. Mandarins and wood ducks and the two general starter birds because of how easy they are. Ergo how popular they are. I just sold a pair to a zoo in Utah. I would take the ducklings out. That's always better to do in my opinion.

Back
Top Bottom