Mandarin Duck thread ( for posting pictures and discussing)

Pics

PrinceSandwich

Songster
10 Years
Nov 11, 2009
Alberta, Canada
I know there's threads on Mandarin pens and on incubating Mandarin eggs but I don't think there's one just for posting pictures and talking about Mandies. So here it is! I don't have any, but I'm hoping to get some soon.

Post away!

Bing.com has Madarin Drakes as the background today... :yesss:

th

The price may seem high in comparison to other commercial feeds designed for production poultry, but wild ducks should be fed a higher quality diet that reflects their feeding in the wild. Mazuri Waterfowl feeds are designed for the wild ducks that we have, with a breeder diet and a maintenance diet (this is for the non-breeding months). The feed is in the form of extruded disk-shaped pellets so you can feed the ducks on the water—it floats and promotes dabbling behavior. We are feeding our ducks with Mazuri feed. Ultimately it comes down to each person's choice as to what they want to feed their ducks, but I prefer a higher quality food for higher end birds. Also, if you have local feed shops/mills that carry Purina feed, see if they can order the feed for you, as it might be a few dollars cheaper per bag.

Recomachi, thanks for the input. Will it make much difference if I go to the trouble to try to get them to "imprint" on me and hand raise them? With my pheasants, the only somewhat tame one is the one I did that with. The others, except for a male Elliot, will eat out of my hand, but won't let me touch them. BTW, where abouts are you located? It looks like you have plenty of space for your flock.

55%-60 is where I usually kept mine, I also kept a mister bottle in the incubator and sprayed them lightly every time I turned (they do horrible in turners hand turn 3 times a day)
Keeping the ,ister in the incubator also keeps the water at incubator temp so that it doesnt shock them when you spray them....now dont spoke the heck out of them, just a faint light misting is fine, you are just simulating a wet hen coming back from feeding

Hey! I don't get on here very consistently!
smile.png
I am in Utah, but I don't have the Fed permit to sell, trade, barter, etc. wood ducks. As cool as they look, I think I'll get out of the wood ducks and whenever I wanna see one, I'll just look in my living room where I have one mounted! Just seems like a hassle to get the permit, prepare reports and such just for the heck of having them. Mandarins and other non-natives are way cool and easier to work with!

Thanks for the offer though, chickenlisa!

Not split to white mandarins (sigh, I wish, NO LUCK with them this year
sad.png
) but here's a clutch of bufflehead and a Baer's pochard teacher duckling. Boring, I know. My apricot wood ducks haven't hatched yet. Fingers crossed!
fl.gif
fl.gif
fl.gif
thumbsup.gif

71544_dsc_0002.jpg

Back
Top Bottom