Mandarin questions! Talk to me people. :P

Quote:
Yes this is what I read, that he would love on one when the other is laid up incubating. (Just like a man!)

Thank you
smile.png

Oh and they are fully coloured from this springs hatch. They are gorgeous. Let me see if I can find a pic. Even the girls are lookers.

he will probably favor regular colored girl then get to the white one (no problem) just sold my last four extrs at local auction for 20 a piece

Last edited:
You can breed the normal male to the white female and get split males and normal females. then if you breed the split males to white females you will get 25% split males 25% white males 25% normal hens 25% white hens course thats all statistics so you might get a bunch of white males or whatever your ducks hens feel like throwin

one more thing: if you breed a split male to a normal female there is a 25% chance for normal and 25% chance for split. problem is you won't be able to tell the difference seeing as they will all look normal, so from my understanding you should sell them at the price range of a normal allowing the buyer to know that there is a possibility that it will cary the white gene.

Last edited:
Quote:
was just about to say the same thing.
I usually tried to keep them paired, as most of these type birds do better fertility wise that way, BUT in the case of mandarins, they can handle two hens, if you get lucky and they arent in need of breeding all at once, and same on the feed.
They love a little floating fish food too as a treat, just dont over doing it, asmall handful a day is all for a pair.
Also I did about 20% grains in the winter for added fat layer for a little winter insulation. Just be sure to cut that out in Feb. to get them trimmed down a bit for spring breeding season, fat duck dont produce as well as trim ones, but they do feel a touch better in the winter

gosh I would have given you $20, wow, I have Mandarin, I have the normal, split, and white, I just sold a pair of my White $225 with shipping came to $338, I really didn't want to sell them, but the guy was getting them for his 76 yr old mother for a porch aviary they built her to set and drink coffee and admire, but I am going to drop a few links look at these prices:

http://www.mallardlanefarms.com/pricelistavailability.htm

http://www.baldridgeducks.com/pricelistofducks.htm

http://www.acornhollowbantams.com/prices.cfm

http://www.woodedwetlands.info/Birds.cfm

http://mdkauctions.hypermart.net/price.html

yep, there's been a lot of debate on here over "fair" mandarin prices
many charge the heck out of people for them, have seen folks pay well over $100 for a pair of normals, which to me is crazy.
here's what they are averaging in todays market at fair prices

normal $40- $60
split $60- $100
white $125- $200ish

you just have to get away from the .coms and auction sites and find the true private breeder section, like in the A.P.W.S., Gazette, and G.B.W.F. for sell site. There's tons of folks out there with them for these prices, please dont any of you think think you have to pay $120 for normal ol mandarins, you can get a couple pairs easy for that. Just ask around, any of us will be glad to point you in the right direction. The mandarin and wood duck are the most commonly kept of the ornamental/migratory waterfowl in the U.S., which pretty much does two things, they can be a dime a dozen due to availability , or people can price gouge you over them if they know you are new to the hobby.

Quote:
This year I paid $55 for Regular and $110 for White.

So BBB would you suggest not getting a website? As you know we just built our new pen and if we have a good breeding season will be selling some and thought about getting a website of what we raise and something I can "blog" for a lack of a better word about our experiences with breeding. We are doing it more for our enjoyment (Labor of Love type of thing)...

I would have liked to got 30 a bird but just have too many. Thats how auctions go. Last pr went for 100 so it evens out. Dang Linda 113 dollars for shipping! I got 4 birds last week and shipping was 62.50 but I supplied the boxes (2). I have always got mine USPS. Yes its all about supply and demand . Seems like right now everybody wants manderins(even the breeders want them) but Im only talking about the internet. Also unless you do pick up only ALWAYS add 60-100+ for shippjng and boxes. Im on the internet all the time looking at bird prices and yes every great once in a while you find a deal but here is what I think is the "norm " (sorry Aubrey) normal $60 ,split same as Aubrey, white 225 to 300 dollars.Ive never seen a white pr for less than 200. Im betting that splits are going more lower because to get white you have to still breed the birds you get and I think most people will go head and pony up and get a pr of whites.

I dont think you need one Kanga .Between here and GBWF Im pretty sure you can get rid of all your excess stock.
smile.png
I think M gave ya a deal on them whites
wink.png

Back
Top Bottom