Mandarins: will they come back or will they be gone forever?

tiktilaok

Chirping
Apr 18, 2021
Hi there! Recently, i have been thinking of acquiring a pair (or more😅) of mandarin ducks.

Im still in the process of researching and reading stuff about them.
Considering them not being totally domesticated ducks, i learned that their initial response to anything that would startle or scare them would be FLIGHT, instead of FIGHT.

With that being said, i am wondering if they would still come back to their place/enclosure after flying away, or if they would prefer to wander off?

Im asking this since i have a few heads of 2 wild duck species (Anas luzonica and Dendrocygna arcuata) . All of them are neither wing clipped nor pinioned. Their place is also not netted. What i do is i temporarily place them in a smaller cage inside their enclosure for a month or so. After that, i let them loose.

Sometimes, a duck or 2 will occasionally fly away after being startled and they are nowhere to be found. But after a few hours or a few days, they'd be back.

Im curious to know if mandarins will behave the same way.

Thanks a lot in advance!

Just sharing a few photos.... 😊

Attachments

• IMG_20220914_230706.jpg
    IMG_20220914_230706.jpg
    341.7 KB · Views: 38
  • Screenshot_20220905_234952.jpg
    Screenshot_20220905_234952.jpg
    372.3 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220907_150830.jpg
    IMG_20220907_150830.jpg
    744.7 KB · Views: 14
  • IMG_20220907_150605.jpg
    IMG_20220907_150605.jpg
    581.7 KB · Views: 15
Turtles like baby ducks........
Like? As in like to eat? 😖😰
Havent hatched any yet. But in case, maybe il find them another spot wdo the turtles.

So far, i havent observed any turtle nipping or biting the ducks.. But with ducklings...... Thats another case.

Thanks...

Your set up is fabulous and your philosophy of not clipping wings resonates with me. I cant answer your question

Are they snapping turtles? As far as I know it is only snapping turtles that are a danger to ducks. They can kill a little fluffy but we get lots of adult ducks needing care and treatment for bitten legs in wildlife rehab

Your set up is fabulous and your philosophy of not clipping wings resonates with me. I cant answer your question

Are they snapping turtles? As far as I know it is only snapping turtles that are a danger to ducks. They can kill a little fluffy but we get lots of adult ducks needing care and treatment for bitten legs in wildlife rehab
Actually, i do clipping of wings too as the last resort.. Very seldom, i must say.
Or if i am not that confident enough that wont fly and wander off. We do what needs to be done.

But i clip feathers to a minimum just so that they could fly so high and eventually maintain being air borne..

I honestly avoid clipping as much as possible because i think i am making them lesser of a bird... Plus, no matter how neatly a clipping is done, i still dont like how they look...✌🏻✌🏻No pun intended.., 😚😚 Just my personal opinion..

And as for the turtles, they are box turtles and a few red eared sliders.

Back
Top Bottom