Maran Assortment coming soon...Newbie needs help

I g0t 0ne that is hatching,,,
woot.gif
woot.gif
great news!

I'm just stumped as to why. These guys were goning bonkers in there for a day. Oh well.....I found a place within an hour of here that sells BCM chicks and eggs. http://www.bjspoultry.com/black-copper-marans-chicks-pullets.html I may try them next time instead of shipping eggs, but thats going to have to wait a while. The wife is a bit upset over 1 out of 17 eggs hatching..
WOW $20 for a 6-8 week FBCM pullet...that is a pretty low price. Is that where you got your hatching eggs?

well, I guess I should feel a little bit better. I went out and got a brighter LED flashlight. I can now see 6 of the remaining eggs never did anything...I guess not fertilized.

I just completed a hatch of six fbcm eggs off of ebay. I tried to hatch them with duck eggs (which doesn't seem to work so well. I think maybe the humidity for the ducks was too high for the chicks.) The Marans eggs, however, were stunning. Colored like a super dark terra cotta pot and, literally, the same size as the duck eggs. Only one Marans hatched; I believe she is pullet (I hope, I hope, I hope) and she is just beautiful. She is so friendly and curious. One word of caution to anyone incubating Marans: they are VERY difficult to candle. I kept thinking I saw movement but by the time the hatch was over only one other egg had even developed (although they had all started) and he had probably died in the second week. Good luck to all of you and your hatches. I will sayI am charmed by this chick and cannot wait to watch her grow and lay those huge, beautiful eggs.

well??.. Progress?? inquiring minds want to know
pop.gif
Well, the little peep started zipping like crazy, it got about 1/2 way and just couldn't seem to go any further. It would try and try and push it's self out to no avail, and chirp, chirp the whole time. I finally went to bed at 1:30 a.m. I got up again at about 3:40 and he was still in the same position still trying to push and still cheeping. I decided (right or wrong I don't know) to help the little peep out. So finally at 4 a.m. I had this tiny little BCM in my hand, but sadly I noticed his right eye did not develop properly, and it's beak doesn't line up it's head is somewhat asymmetrical. Sadly, it looks like a Picasso. He's still peeping but doesn't walk, I pick him up and he squirms around but in the brooder he just lies down and cheeps. I don't hold out much hope for the little guy, and I suppose I wouldn't have helped him get out if I knew he was malformed. Poor little peep, I feel sad for the little one. I will just keep him company and make him comfy and see what happens. I wasn't sure if I should read up on chicken orthopedics or just leave well enough alone. That's my story.
hit.gif

Well, the little peep started zipping like crazy, it got about 1/2 way and just couldn't seem to go any further. It would try and try and push it's self out to no avail, and chirp, chirp the whole time. I finally went to bed at 1:30 a.m. I got up again at about 3:40 and he was still in the same position still trying to push and still cheeping. I decided (right or wrong I don't know) to help the little peep out. So finally at 4 a.m. I had this tiny little BCM in my hand, but sadly I noticed his right eye did not develop properly, and it's beak doesn't line up it's head is somewhat asymmetrical. Sadly, it looks like a Picasso. He's still peeping but doesn't walk, I pick him up and he squirms around but in the brooder he just lies down and cheeps. I don't hold out much hope for the little guy, and I suppose I wouldn't have helped him get out if I knew he was malformed. Poor little peep, I feel sad for the little one. I will just keep him company and make him comfy and see what happens. I wasn't sure if I should read up on chicken orthopedics or just leave well enough alone. That's my story.
hit.gif
hugs.gif

These episodes in our lives happen for a reason.....
barnie.gif

Its very hard to handle a not so great hatch sometimes,,,
idunno.gif
but the reward of a successful hatch is hard to rate..
yippiechickie.gif
yesss.gif

Back
Top Bottom