Marans eggs - first time trying to hatch

What humidity do you use. The external humidity here in Scotland is around 85 to 90 percent just now but I don't know if that will affect the eggs as they will be in the enclosed space of the incubator.

All but 3 of my maran eggs hatched.. Happy momma.
1f60a.png

What humidity do you use. The external humidity here in Scotland is around 85 to 90 percent just now but I don't know if that will affect the eggs as they will be in the enclosed space of the incubator.

It stays very humid here too and my incubator/hatcher is in the cellar where it stays fairly humid but I still need to keep adding water otherwise it dries out. in there.
The incubator stays around 40 or so and I keep the hatcher about 65.
I still try to track weight to monitor since I only have one good hygrometer.
I think it will be about the same humidity as you have for the next week. It's 87% right now.

Last edited:
Thank you! I ended having to send for more eggs, which arrived today, as the first lot never got here. I am leaving them to settle down for 24 hours. I tried to candle them but they are almost impossible to see through because of the colour and thickness of the shell. Does it get any clearer as they develop or is it just russian roulette with eggs instead of bullets? What if I get an explosive one, how will I know if I can't see? Aaaagh!

Exploders almost always stink so you'll know. It doesn't get easier to see. You just may be able to see the air pocket but that's about it depending on the light you're using.

Oh, chickencanoe, its so scary!

Blkjak, does that make any difference to when I stop turning? I believe that I should turn off the autoturn at day 18.

No it doesnt. I usually try and stop turning on day 17/18. I still have them pip on the bottom. Good luck!
I am incubating cream legbars and isbars right now and have been told to expect day 22-24 hatching.

Back
Top Bottom