Marans Hatch

daniduck

silent stalker
10 Years
Nov 1, 2009
Florida
My Coop
My Coop
So I have a few questions, this is the first time we've tried incubating Marans eggs. We have roughly a dozen that were due to hatch Wed. and roughly 18 due to hatch Thurs. I have heard that they tend to be a little longer than average on incubating. The temp has been a steady 101 the entire time on Saturday night I locked down and the humidity looked good at about 65. We had one from the Wed bunch that hatched over night Wed, he/she is doing great. Today we have 3 pips on the bunch that we expected to hatch on Thurs. No other pips. I've only openned the incubator the once yesterday around noon to pull out the hatched chick (since he was rolling the other eggs around. Question for you Marans folk, what do you find is the average incubation time for them? Not worried yet, just wondering. Monday I'm heading out to see family and the hubby will take care of chicks, but he won't be here during the day to keep an eye on the eggs, I thought surely by then we could open any that were left, does that sound about right?

my CM eggs are hatching today right on schedule I have had some that took 3 days to finish hatching and I have had them come early and I've had shipped eggs that didn't hatch very well at all and some that started a day later than I figured. Try not to open your incubator that chick rolling around the eggs always seems like it helps speed up the hatch for me and Marans eggs are easy to shrink wrap which is caused by opening up the incubator. When chicks hatch they can stay in the incubator for 72 hrs hey
hu.gif
I know I have a hard time not taking them out too but it compromises the other eggs trying to hatch. It helps me to say before they start hatching what day I'm taking them out. I have some hatching now and I don't need to take them out until Saturday night........unless all the eggs are empty
lau.gif
fat chance on that happening with shipped eggs.

Thanks, I always worry that them rolling the eggs around in there will get someone turned around and confused that would have hatched otherwise. I never open the incubator up more than every 6 hrs, but I suppose I will open it up to pull them out just once a day to be on the safe side. I have one more that has hatched and 6 pipped now, so I might have just jumped the gun on thinking they would hatch late.

I was advised not to open it at all....so I didn't.
It was hard but chicks are fine and I wondered also if thier chirping encouraged the ones that were hatching.
Had 10 maran eggs.....9 hatched.last one dy 25

Back
Top Bottom