Marans n Wynottes question

cosmosweaver11

Chirping
8 Years
Jul 8, 2015
We bought 2 marans and 2 Wynotte chicken. Now the their around 4 plus month i cant tell the difference. As they are noth black with beautiful green n it. The moran rooster has few streaks of gold on hackle and wings as u can see in photo. Snd the wynottes i believe are mixed with something because they have a few feathers on feet. Does anyone know if these are marans and what type? I think they are just called black marans..was told cookoo marans. I will post pic of the wynottes tomorrow as i thought i got a pic of them but i didnt. And what are the differences between the two chicken cause they look almost the same to me.

If the one you were told are wyandottes have feathered legs they are not wyandottes. Also if either of those first two pictures is meant to be a marans rooster you don't have marans either. Marans have single combs and that rooster appears to have a rose comb. It could perhaps be a black wyandotte with color leakage in the hackle and saddle, but again not if it has feathered legs.

The marans can have feathered legs if they were bred to the french standard, so you may have them mixed up. Better pictures of all the birds would help. There's also a good chance someone sold you four mixed breed birds and just called them marans and wyandottes.

Last edited:
The pictures posted aee if the supposably marans. They do not have feathers on legs and 1 is a rooster and 1 is a gen..i am going to post pictures of the so called wynottes tomorrow..sorry pic i took was not on here when i went and posted this znd its too dark out now

I think yall are exactlly right..got them from tractors supply and thats what they called them..i knew i should have waited to get the from a good chicken farmer we know. Thanks for the input otherwise we would have never known intil they didnt kay chocolate colored eggs :( but they are beautiful

May I say they are gorgeous! May I also say, I know one of the places Tractor Supply gets their chickens is Privett Hatchery in New Mexico. I might add Stromberg gets their NON show quality chickens there too. I know this from personal experience. I found a great place that is small and has wonderful chickens called Valley Hatchery in Niles Ohio. I got sexed chickens... 4 different breeds.27 Chickens. All perfect. All sexed exactly! They are 7 months old now and I would recommend this place! I want to add my chicks I got directly from Privett are nice and friendly and healthy but I must say about 80 percent are not pure. That said, I have an order in with them for Pyncheons as they are the only place that has them in the whole U.S. They were all healthy. You have some really nice looking chickens there, either way;)

I have pure bred Black Copper Marans and Silver Laced Wyandottes. The birds in your photos look like a cross between the two. The Copper Marans are usually harder to come by and the demand for them makes them much more expensive vs the breed of chicken normally sold by Tractor Supply. They tend to sell more common breeds like Orpingtons, production reds, leghorns, or hybrid breeds that can be sexed by color as soon as they hatch so they can offer for sale males or females instead of all birds being straight runs. Marans and Wyandottes can't be sexed by color at hatch and I doubt they employ people with the skill/experience to vent sex chicks. But as mentioned, they birds you have show obvious signs or being a cross of Marans and Wyandottes.

You bring up an excellent point! Orpingtons are about 3.50 to 4 here whereas a BCM is generally at least 15.( unsexed chick)

Back
Top Bottom