Marans Thread - breed discussion & pictures are welcome!

Kara, the lack of color on their back leads me to point towards both being hens, although the first one's tail feathers point up. Just my guess though

Hey all!

Guess what I have zipping and pipping in my incubator? Eggs from Lisa Olson!
This is my 4th try at getting some good marans to start with here in Hawaii.
Last year I was advised to try to get eggs from Lisa Olson and after all this time I finally got eggs from her and they are hatching! So excited!

Any guesses on the sex of my two 5 week old french black copper marans??

Chick 1...

Chick 2...

I'm seeing possible Roos the second one you can see the different coloring in the wings starting
sad.png
Sorry, I could be wrong
bow.gif

I am so jealous!! I have a BCM roo and EE hens too... I can't wait to do this! But they are still babies yet so I have to wait a while.........
Thank you, I still have a wait till they start laying to go from there, lol. But I believe it'll be worth it, feeling excited
smile.png

I found a local breeder that raises Marans. Though I don't know much about them other than they are beautiful chickens and have amazing looking eggs. What kind of disposition do they have? I'm simply interested in adding a little variety to my flock. Is there a difference in the disposition of the colors? He has the French Black Copper, Blue Copper, and my favorite the Splash. I hope I got the names correct as I took the names from the quick notes I made while talking to him.

Back
Top Bottom