March 2017! Hatch with us!

I have a question here usually when chicks hatch early is an indication they f too high a temp but both my thermometers are at 99.9 and 97(second thermometer) as was last time. But they started hatching at day 19 I'm bumpuzzled

I've had some eggs hatch early too. I had some silkie/EE crosses and one hatched right at the day 19 to day 20 transition and they were brooded by a bantam cochin hen

I have a question here usually when chicks hatch early is an indication they f too high a temp but both my thermometers are at 99.9 and 97(second thermometer) as was last time. But they started hatching at day 19 I'm bumpuzzled

It's as puzzling as any 'birth' - some come early, some come late. The 21 day incubation is the rule - but not all chickens have read the rule book!! :gig
Seriously though, if all, or a majority of your chicks hatch early or late, then you most likely have a temperature issue. If it's more of a fluke than a normal occurrence, it's just individual chicks with different development/maturity rates. No worries.

16 mixed breed duck eggs and 4 pure bred Khaki Campbell ducklings eggs going in today! New incubator will be arriving any minute! So excited!

16 mixed breed duck eggs and 4 pure bred Khaki Campbell ducklings eggs going in today! New incubator will be arriving any minute! So excited!

So great!! Welcome aboard :frow! @WVduckchick is a great duck help gal on this hatchong (and helpful 'other egg hatching things too' person)!
My very first hatch, I ordered eggs and incubator simultaneously, and prayed for them to arrive on time! It worked and I hatched 8 beautiful BCM chicks!! What kind of incubator are you getting?

Last edited:
Whewww! Bullet dodged! I’m leaving it alone then, and will candle on Friday. I’ve never done that and hope I can read what I see properly. thanks for the reassurance.

It's as puzzling as any 'birth' - some come early, some come late. The 21 day incubation is the rule - but not all chickens have read the rule book!! :gig
Seriously though, if all, or a majority of your chicks hatch early or late, then you most likely have a temperature issue. If it's more of a fluke than a normal occurrence, it's just individual chicks with different development/maturity rates. No worries.

Well I have not changed the temp and have 25 eggs going now I'll watch and mark the days if it is so I'll lower the temp a little and see if it's any better % a hatch first hatch wasn't sure any would develope and hatch being the eggs were old and refridgerated. This hatch is with more viable eggs

Back
Top Bottom