March 2017! Hatch with us!

I'm so sorry for your hatching troubles! The only thing I can think of to do is start checking off all the possible variables - definitely humidity levels at lockdown sound like they could be the culprit (not sure how that might play into the internal pip issue though) but go through your entire hatching "recipe" to see if there's anything that stands out. I run all my variables up against my most successful hatch rate incubations. I will usually find something that was unusual, or something I let slide, or even something new I thought would boost my rate; sometimes even the outside weather condition have affected things . Then I think about the age and quality of the eggs, what the embryos looked like at eggtopsy, and whether anyone else was hatching eggs from the same person. (If they're your eggs, you might want to send a batch to someone else to see how they fare.) It might also have something to do with the incubator - do you have a couple thermometers and hygrometers to double check accuracy?
Sorry for the long winded reply... I'm just wracking my brain to think what the root might be. i hope you are able to solve it soon!
hu.gif
We have 2 extra thermometers, both agree. The max I can get my incubator up to is 60% without decreasing the air flow. I am going to put 45 turkey eggs, 40 chicken eggs of my own, and 72 of my neighbor's in tomorrow. I really hope for a good hatch especially with my turkeys. I sell the turkey eggs on ebay and my customers seem to get good hatch rates so lets hope I do.

I think I have 10/14 developing... 4 I could tell are yolkers... And the others I can either see veining, movement, or absolutely nothing but a stable looking aircell. If you can believe it, my OEs are harder to see through than my BCMs!

Bleh... I have my 5 week old chicks in a makeshift brooder dog crate in the garage and everything in the vicinity is covered in about one inch layer of dust. I clean it all up and then less than a day later there it is again.

Tips? Do y'all think switching to hay would be a solution, right now I'm using pine shaving?

I've always used pine, and raised brood in the same fashion but never had so much dust! Is it the heat lamp or just double the amount of chicks (3 vs. 6)? (First time using a heat lamp as I've always raised chicks in summer and only used a portable heater)

I h
Bleh... I have my 5 week old chicks in a makeshift brooder dog crate in the garage and everything in the vicinity is covered in about one inch layer of dust. I clean it all up and then less than a day later there it is again.

Tips? Do y'all think switching to hay would be a solution, right now I'm using pine shaving?

I've always used pine, and raised brood in the same fashion but never had so much dust! Is it the heat lamp or just double the amount of chicks (3 vs. 6)? (First time using a heat lamp as I've always raised chicks in summer and only used a portable heater)
ave the same issues same set up but it's in my living room wife is pitching fits lol

I'm set up in the dining room...LOL 4 more chicks overnight. What I read is holding true it seems. These are mostly the BR/ISA mixes and I have 4 black chicks and 4 yellow chicks. And I must have done something right...or got really lucky. They are bouncing around like popcorn. Will try to get some pics later. :)

Loved reading your posts. My husband had to drag me away from the computer to go to bed.

Keep us posted with how you are doing with your baby(ies).

By the way - I lost three babies 5 months ago and had a single survivor who was dubbed "Miracle". I ran out and got her a companion - "Tribble". They were raised in the house. Long story - but I found out the hard way what mites can do to babies and was forced to bring the survivor inside and away from the danger zone until a proper quarantine could be conducted. This was then and then now.

Good luck!

Nothing stops the chick dust. I've used all kinds of bedding and it's always there. More chicks equals more dust.

My old lady is gonna kill me I have 8 new ones in the mini brooder 17 eggs in the cooker and getting ready when this hatch is done putting 48 more in for Easter hatchalong oh I'm in trouble!!!!

Hay can mold - had that problem. I've used straw and cut it up into 3 - 4 inch pieces and that definitely cut down on the dust. Initially, I had poopy feet so I mixed some shavings into the straw and it worked well for me.

Dust and chicks - go hand in hand.

Back
Top Bottom