March 2017! Hatch with us!

I have one of my first hatch with a stretched out leg I tried numerous times to correct it from day one each time I did in about 2 minutes it would be undone I tried even duct tape to no avail he is growing but will be a pet bird till he gives up I can't put him down and my old lady will not let me anyway but I hate to see one that way but it's life I'll let him live as full a life as he can.
I'm sorry you're struggling with his struggling. I learned a while back in years when I was the pet human to a marsupial (sugar glider) that had to have his forearm amputated due to injury that creatures (non-human) by nature do not self-reflect the way humans do. And that it is human self-reflection that leads to the obsessive ways we interpret our unique circumstances. That's how we become poorly adjusted.
My sugar glider, L'il Dude went about a long and happy life without looking back!
The same very day that I let him back into the cage with his mate, he hung upside down with her and they had a romantic interlude, hanging upside down, that is known to create smaller marsupials!

Not a great day for hatching.
hit.gif
Questioning the farming lifestyle once again. Will post more later.
Whatever has happened, I am very sorry to hear you're having such a sad day.

hugs.gif

Hi Yeye5,

I looked for the forum about mites killing baby chicks and found a few but not the one that gave me the big time help. At the time it was an emergency situation so I didn't subscribe to the thread. I'm sure if you search mites and chicks you'll find it. I found it rather quickly.

Sevin dust is at Home Depot etc - in the garden department - chemicals and sprays. I know alot of people who dust their chickens with it out here in Southern California to keep lice and mites at bay. I've done so before I found out about DE. DE is more natural and less chemical than Sevin dust. I do keep both on hand at all times. Thank goodness - having done so saved my chick. It didn't have time for me to be running around and shopping. DE is my regular weekly routine. Sevin dust is something I do every few months.

Hope this helps.
Thanks you. It does help.
I will try to get a small supply of both and follow your lead to keep them in my chicken arsenal.
For whatever it's worth--and in NO WAY disagreeing, just repeating the one blog I read by the woman who does not use DE--I read that DE when seen at microscopic levels is made up of very sharp edges. The bloggers concern was that birds have very sensitive delicate respiratory systems and that if inhaled (which everything is when chickens scratch and peck) the DE can be anything from an irritant to a hazard.
On the other hand and in my own opinion now, if we compare a deadly parasite to a possible irritant, the possible irritant still wins the contest for use.
I gather as much info and as many opinions as I can on topics so that instead of ust "winging it" so to speak, I can weigh ideas based upon knowledgable sources and that makes me the responsible educated party to make a decision when it needs making.
I appreciate your info and your time!

Just a cute update about the 5 Brahma and 2 GLWs I adopted with Mima now 2 days ago.
They have in fact whispered their names in my ear.
Brahmas: In addition to Daisy and Tulip, we do have Sunflower, Azalea, and Ziva. (I plan to call the feed store this a.m. to nag them about ordering my male who will be Bougie for Bouganvillea)
GLWS: Ginger (aka the penguin) and Rosa. (they told me that since I'll already be on the phone with the feed store wouldn't Mind having some more sisters and a suitable future beau...yikes).
Now, to research Welsummers. (I will not buy more chicks, I will write 100 X on the black board while ordering more chicks).

Went to bed last night with one Buff Orpington freshly hatched. Woke up this morning to this:

It's gettibg crowded in here, Mama!
3 BO and 3 EE have hatched! 40 more eggs to go! One of the EE is an awesome blue grey color, think it came from a green egg. Popping like popcorn!

Went to bed last night with one Buff Orpington freshly hatched. Woke up this morning to this:

It's gettibg crowded in here, Mama!
3 BO and 3 EE have hatched! 40 more eggs to go! One of the EE is an awesome blue grey color, think it came from a green egg. Popping like popcorn!

:clap A beautiful sight! Congratulations!

Eggtopsy day.... gotta figure out what went wrong...worst hatch rate I have ever had.
But in the midst of the "Ugh" part, there is some good news. 6 sweet little Swedish Flowers have made an arrival, along with 1 blue and 1 black Silverudd's Blues (was hoping for a splash too, to complete their spectrum), and 4 CLs (3 male, only 1 female).

Back
Top Bottom