March 2017! Hatch with us!

Before I get to a couple eggtopsy result, here is a little good news. As I was grabbing eggs to do the DIS candle, one of them yelled at me! Like, literally (and if chicks could speak English), "No! Do not put me in that pile!" Or, perhaps in a frantic British accent, "Not dead yet!" So maybe, just maybe, I will get my splash SRB!?
Okay, what follows is a little grim, but educational.
The first pic is a malpositioned chick. Its leg is up where its beak ought to be. On further inspection, its beak was not near the shell. It could not pip. This was a shipped SFH .

This second chick was in the correct position. When I opened it completely, it looked as if it died around day 19-20 (still had a fairly full yolk sack). It was female, and a non-shipped egg. When I get back to doing more (after my surprise pipper decides what it's going to do), I will hopefully get a more complete picture of what went wrong.

My bad, I got mixed up. Hoping for some action soon!
Eggtopies are rough, but get easier each time. Especially if you look at it as a learning experience. I don't open all of mine, but some I just have to know if something was obviously wrong.

I figure if I loose this batch I'm still good because of the success of the bantam eggs. And wasn't sure about this batch myself but had to try it now that I have a couple Roos and eggs on the way I have a better chance to get my birds back up and going.

Before I get to a couple eggtopsy result, here is a little good news. As I was grabbing eggs to do the DIS candle, one of them yelled at me! Like, literally (and if chicks could speak English), "No! Do not put me in that pile!" Or, perhaps in a frantic British accent, "Not dead yet!" So maybe, just maybe, I will get my splash SRB!?
Okay, what follows is a little grim, but educational.
The first pic is a malpositioned chick. Its leg is up where its beak ought to be. On further inspection, its beak was not near the shell. It could not pip. This was a shipped SFH .

This second chick was in the correct position. When I opened it completely, it looked as if it died around day 19-20 (still had a fairly full yolk sack). It was female, and a non-shipped egg. When I get back to doing more (after my surprise pipper decides what it's going to do), I will hopefully get a more complete picture of what went wrong.
Again, I'm so sorry about the poor hatch, but isn't it awesome when you find one that says "don't take me!!!". I hope you get your splash.
A fellow chicken hatcher near me hatched some Silverudd Blues 2 weeks before I did. I don't know for sure if it is typical to the breed, but ours were very susceptible to Coccidiosis. She lost 4 of hers when they they were about 8 weeks. She never fed medicated feed, but I did. Around 9 weeks old I mixed in the first bag of non medicated feed I lost 3 - I had 5 that were sick, but 2 made it after giving them Corrid. None of my other chicks got sick. Neither did any of hers.

Other than the Cocci - they are beautiful STRONG chicks. The boys developed combs VERY, very early. That has stayed true. The first combs that developed are all boys. They are the most curious of all the chicks I have in that pen. They push their way past me, when I open the coop door. They have lots of personality.

If you're using a phone it's the third square on the upper part of the reply box. Touch that square and follow the prompts. It will allow you to take, or upload a picture from your phone library.
1f44d-1f3fb.png
So I figured out what is wrong. One just has the clenched fist. But the other ones have the achilles hock joint thing out of place. I have tried to pop it back into place, and I can move it to where it's supposed to be but once I let the leg go, it goes back. This is very sad and frustrating. I have tried to make little casts for the two that have this, they are not happy about it, but hopefully it holds the legs in place and can fix it.

Oh and today is day 26, and there are still chicks hatching. And some moving but haven't pipped. But I have two that are pipping .

Day 23 for me...the last 7 eggs show no movement or sign of life. The pic above is what I have ended up with. (11) The yellow chicks are the BR/ISA mixes which I will never do again. Nearly every egg that pipped and stalled out was an ISA egg. That shell is just too hard for chicks to get out of. Read this sad little fact midway through lockdown...that ISAS are seldom bred because of the hardness of the shell. So I guess those three little yellow goof balls are blessings. :) Learned a lot this time. I questioned my ability to candle but I numbered each egg and when I candled the first time I listed on a pad why each egg was pulled and again on last candle before lockdown. I gathered shells as they hatched and compared it to what I had listed. Pretty much on the money though sadly a few I had listed as good development and movement were in ISA shells. :( Pretty pleased with such a spur of the moment incubation, except for discovering the hard way that you don't want to incubate ISA eggs.

We have 10 Buffs (in brooder) another four or so BO drying off in incubator still, and...uh...I'm not sure how many Easter Eggers. I lost count! I have had to open the incubator to reduce the crowding going on in there, and couldnt resist turning some eggs that were pipping towards the floor!

Back
Top Bottom