Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 31-40

Votes: 12 10.5%
  • 41-50

Votes: 17 14.9%
  • 51+

Votes: 8 7.0%

• Total voters
As for breeding roos, I'm pretty sure everything I pull out of my big coop will be half Cochin since my roo Sam thinks thats his job. I swear I don't think he gives the other two a chance, even though they try.

I have a dozen Khaki Campbell hatching eggs coming this weekend :celebrate
I was hoping to get my hands on some Cayuga eggs, but I can't find any locally :( The Khakis' aren't local either, but a friend of mine from Va said they'd gift me with a dozen eggs and my DH was already making a trip up there this weekend, so.... :gig

Hello everyone!

I sat my eggs Sunday, Feb. 15, 2015. They are farm flock mixed with RIR, Easter egger, black Australorp, cinnamon queen, golden comet, and several unknown. They are not purebred but whomever wanted to love whomever. I set 53 eggs. I have a little giant incubator. They should hatch on march 08, 2015. I am posting a picture also.

I am having a heck of a time trying to get the temp stable with the freezer weather we just had. I hope I have it spot on now. Good luck to everyone.

cray4en
fl.gif

I have a dozen Khaki Campbell hatching eggs coming this weekend :celebrate
I was hoping to get my hands on some Cayuga eggs, but I can't find any locally :( The Khakis' aren't local either, but a friend of mine from Va said they'd gift me with a dozen eggs and my DH was already making a trip up there this weekend, so.... :gig[/quote
I have 15 khaki Campbell eggs on day 12 right now. I started with 21 but pulled 6 bloodrings/early quitters. They were shipped from Georgia to Oregon and the air cells are pretty crazy. Hope they hatch.]

Good luck with your Khakis Lamancha! I've never done duck eggs before, so this is gonna be a new experience for me. I think I'll give a few of them to my broody and see how she does with them. I'm hoping my eggs will arrive in good shape since my DH is driving them home.

As for the LGs, I have an older model and the newer, digital model. I don't really have any problems out of either of them. The trick for me this time of the year was finding a good spot for them. We use wood to heat, so the temp in my house is never steady. But, the LGs do a good job staying pretty stable. They don't usually fluctuate more than a half of a degree. I've had my older bator for at least 5 years now, and I got it second hand. Maybe I'm just lucky? The older one is a pain to dial in though, with that little knob!

Mine has the wing nut on it to adjust them temp, I wish I would have purchased a digital one! I am losing hope for my eggs that are being shipped, it is suppose to be eleven below zero tonight with a high of three degrees tomorrow
barnie.gif

Last edited:
I've never hatched ducks either. We can learn together. Haha
I've been weighing them every couple days and they seem right on track, but I am worried about those air cells.

I have gone a little crazy with a bunch of staggered hatches going on! Now it looks like I'm a little low on incubator space. Wooops
Currently I have:
7 sulmtaler/leghorn eggs due in 1 week
15 khaki Campbell and 8 blue orp x's due in 2 weeks
14 Buckeyes set today
And 12 bielfelders on the way in the mail.

I added a tiny CPU fan to my still air incubator (my other is a circulated air model.). I was amazed at how quickly just that tiny fan stabilized the temps, which had been varying by up to two degrees at different spots. Best part is I got it and the power supply free from a friend's computer junk box.

Did some real early candling last night on just a few eggs and have veins developing in several. Look OK so far.

Back
Top Bottom