Mareks or injury???

chicken farmer2

Songster
7 Years
May 27, 2012
tuscarawas county, Ohio
I have a 7 month old sizzle rooster. Here's the story I found him layibg in the coop on day unable to walk. I took him into the garage into his own cage. I left him in there couple day goes by and now hes able to walk again pretty good. He eats and drinks. But his head bobs in a circle. My friend said they seen him trying to fight the other chickens a few days prior. So I dont know if one of the largefowl rooster got him. Or maybe he got mareks somehow. No new birds have been acquired for about two months. Maybe longer. Anyway to test for mareks? What do you thibk it is?

I have a 7 month old sizzle rooster. Here's the story I found him layibg in the coop on day unable to walk. I took him into the garage into his own cage. I left him in there couple day goes by and now hes able to walk again pretty good. He eats and drinks. But his head bobs in a circle. My friend said they seen him trying to fight the other chickens a few days prior. So I dont know if one of the largefowl rooster got him. Or maybe he got mareks somehow. No new birds have been acquired for about two months. Maybe longer. Anyway to test for mareks? What do you thibk it is?
Can you post a video of the head bobbing? for video upload to youtube, then provide us a link. If no video, photos may help.

Is he pooping o.k., what does that look like?
What are you feeding him?
Is his crop emptying overnight?

He is at the right age for Marek's to present, but if he was seen fighting a LF rooster, then it's possible he suffered an injury.
If the head is bobbing, that sounds neurological, a well placed peck to the head might do it or again, it could be disease related.

There is no cure for Marek's except for offering supportive care, same with injury to the head. I would offer him Vitamin E (400IU) daily, along with 1/2tablet human B-Complex vitamin (no iron). Give him some egg or tuna for Selenium.

Watch to see that he is staying well hydrated and eating.

As far as I know, there is no test for Marek's until a body is sent for necropsy/testing.
Here's a very good article on Marek's: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Can you post a video of the head bobbing? for video upload to youtube, then provide us a link. If no video, photos may help.

Is he pooping o.k., what does that look like?
What are you feeding him?
Is his crop emptying overnight?

He is at the right age for Marek's to present, but if he was seen fighting a LF rooster, then it's possible he suffered an injury.
If the head is bobbing, that sounds neurological, a well placed peck to the head might do it or again, it could be disease related.

There is no cure for Marek's except for offering supportive care, same with injury to the head. I would offer him Vitamin E (400IU) daily, along with 1/2tablet human B-Complex vitamin (no iron). Give him some egg or tuna for Selenium.

Watch to see that he is staying well hydrated and eating.

As far as I know, there is no test for Marek's until a body is sent for necropsy/testing.
Here's a very good article on Marek's: http://www.backyardchickens.com/a/the-great-big-giant-mareks-disease-faq

Its poop looks normal. It seems pretty healthy overall. Ill have to check its crop. Its just when i found it, it seems it legs were messed up and could walk right. So I put him in a cage for a few days i got him out yesterday he's actually walking now.

Hes getting better then what he was. And when I saod his head bobing it like sometimes and from side to side kinda slowly like hes drunk. I feed them layer crumble and sometimes some cracked corn.

Try getting the vitamins into him along with some extra protein (egg, tuna, mackerel, meat) or you can give him chick starter if you wish.

Hopefully he will continue to recover, please keep us posted.

Back
Top Bottom