Marek's vs. perosis - please help

newchickiemom48

Songster
9 Years
Mar 4, 2014
I have a 3 month old pullet who has had weakness of her legs for the past two weeks. I started noticing her limping a little while she was out during the day, then I noticed her sitting down frequently. Then she started having trouble perching, and then I noticed her right foot curled. I tried splinting the foot but she kept getting it off. Then she was not able to walk at all and the other leg started having the same symptoms. Now she is able to sit with assistance and push with her legs, but when she tries to get up, her legs go out behind her. I have her propped up in a cage inside with food and water within reach. I started giving her feed with Rooster Booster and water with Sav a Chick electrolytes & vitamins. She is taking aspirin a couple of times a day. She never progressed to neck and wing paralysis and never got respiratory distress. Not sure what this is or how to treat. Thinking of euthanizing if she does not turn around. Any help would be appreciated.

I'm havi
I have a 3 month old pullet who has had weakness of her legs for the past two weeks. I started noticing her limping a little while she was out during the day, then I noticed her sitting down frequently. Then she started having trouble perching, and then I noticed her right foot curled. I tried splinting the foot but she kept getting it off. Then she was not able to walk at all and the other leg started having the same symptoms. Now she is able to sit with assistance and push with her legs, but when she tries to get up, her legs go out behind her. I have her propped up in a cage inside with food and water within reach. I started giving her feed with Rooster Booster and water with Sav a Chick electrolytes & vitamins. She is taking aspirin a couple of times a day. She never progressed to neck and wing paralysis and never got respiratory distress. Not sure what this is or how to treat. Thinking of euthanizing if she does not turn around. Any help would be appreciated.
1f613.png
1f613.png
1f613.png
1f613.png
I'm having the same problem with my roo idk what to do been doing everything that you are I hope someone helps us I'm thinking if he does it get better soon I'm going to have to euthanize him to

So sorry to hear of your distress.

There is an information list on Marek's - from people who have done a lot of work to research facts:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mareks-disease-fact-site

Regarding your sick chicken, bear in mind it is possible to poison a chicken by over-medication. I believe that a vet once told me that 1 asprin dissolved in 1 gallon of water was a dose sometimes used.

Sad to hear that your chicken is ill. Wishing you all the best.
hugs.gif

It does not sound like perosis. Can you post a video of her?

-Kathy

She started on starter grower until 2/1/2 months and then grower finisher. Of note, when I fed Rooster Booster to the rest of my flock, my two barred rocks with severe soft shell problems started laying normal eggs. Question manganese deficiency on my property? I did read the Marek's info already. I have 2 pictures -- how do you post them on this site???

She started on starter grower until 2/1/2 months and then grower finisher. Of note, when I fed Rooster Booster to the rest of my flock, my two barred rocks with severe soft shell problems started laying normal eggs. Question manganese deficiency on my property? I did read the Marek's info already. I have 2 pictures -- how do you post them on this site???
Are you on a mobile or desktop?

-Kathy

Hi! I'm so sorry to hear about the issues you're having.

I'm having a few issues myself. In my case I had my first ever bout with coocidiosis, my chicks responded well and I thought all would be fine. Unfortunately this has not been the end of it. I had a couple of young birds show up with the leg issues and the thought of Mareks crossed my mind. But then I started noticing what I believe to be other deficiencies; there's a beak issue and toe issues.

I've been raising chicks from the same birds for a year now and this is the first time I've had issues. I consulted my vet and put them through another course of Amprol in case they're still having issues. The vet agreed that they appeared to be showing signs of deficiencies. I've have them on a vitamin premix that goes in the water. I just realized that I started feed from a new place at the time the times these chicks hatched because the branch of stores I purchased the previous feed closed. I plan to get starter from a different company as soon as I can get there and I'll be using that for my chicks to see if it's better. Both feeds are comparable as far as vitamins. But so was the first feed and I didn't have issues at that point in time.

I did buy human B2 for the fellow with the leg issues but today is the first day I'll be giving it to him. I'm wondering if I will have to put him down eventually. I feel so badly for him. I have him beside the others, but separated.

Here's another link from about Perosis. On the left side follow the list to deficiencies.
It lists others there and has a few more pictures.

http://www.thepoultrysite.com/publications/6/diseases-of-poultry/220/slipped-tendon-perosis/

Back
Top Bottom