Mare's Illegal Cute-ness (Call Duck) Chat Thread!!

I have too many boys I guess. My white trio stays to themselves or sneaks into the rooster pen. My two gray boys have full size girlfriends so they don't mix with the other calls. I have a black magpie pair and a butterscotch pair that used to live happily together. I recently got a gray girl that hops the barrier between the butterscotch pen and the black magpie pen.
That could be. Are all these in with each other? @WVduckchick has a bunch of boys and I believe all hers run together. Nat, do you have any issues like this?

She can't decide between the dark vs. light side... lol
Lol!

That could be. Are all these in with each other? @WVduckchick has a bunch of boys and I believe all hers run together. Nat, do you have any issues like this?

Lol!
@Strawberry74 mine also separate themselves into pairs, trios, or groups, and find areas to get away from the crowd. Happens mostly when the boys are feeling their “rowdiness” (to put it PG rated lol). They almost all still go into the pen and sleep together at night, I have a couple girls that refuse, and their mates stay out with them. It’s not that bad when the mating season calms down though.

I have too many boys I guess. My white trio stays to themselves or sneaks into the rooster pen. My two gray boys have full size girlfriends so they don't mix with the other calls. I have a black magpie pair and a butterscotch pair that used to live happily together. I recently got a gray girl that hops the barrier between the butterscotch pen and the black magpie pen. She can't decide between the dark vs. light side... lol
May I ask if your two gray boys are able to mate the full size girlfriends? I have 4 little drakes in with 9 big Hens and one Mallard/Rouen Drake and so far there is peace in the pen between all of them. My Mallard/Rouen only likes one Mallard female and seems to leave everyone else alone. I just wondered if my littles could mate the bigger Hens which are Khaki Campbell, Muscovy, Rouen, Mallard and my huge female Mule Duck. Thanks for any info you can give me.

May I ask if your two gray boys are able to mate the full size girlfriends? I have 4 little drakes in with 9 big Hens and one Mallard/Rouen Drake and so far there is peace in the pen between all of them. My Mallard/Rouen only likes one Mallard female and seems to leave everyone else alone. I just wondered if my littles could mate the bigger Hens which are Khaki Campbell, Muscovy, Rouen, Mallard and my huge female Mule Duck. Thanks for any info you can give me.
Well.... they sure try, but definitely aren't successful. Quite amusing to watch the effort though. 🤣

Well.... they sure try, but definitely aren't successful. Quite amusing to watch the effort though. 🤣
I had seen somewhere said that if you had water for them to get into they could. That is why I asked. I don't have a pond but several large water containers that they bathe in. My Mallards are not huge and are the smallest of my ducks and that is why I just wondered if it was possible. I appreciate your answer.

@Strawberry74 mine also separate themselves into pairs, trios, or groups, and find areas to get away from the crowd. Happens mostly when the boys are feeling their “rowdiness” (to put it PG rated lol). They almost all still go into the pen and sleep together at night, I have a couple girls that refuse, and their mates stay out with them. It’s not that bad when the mating season calms down though.
I dunno... mine each have their own female or two, but seem to always go after another's which either a fight ensues or a helper for taking on the poor lady🤦‍♀️ It's ridiculous! It's mostly the black magpie drake and butterscotch drake that are the instigators. I'll keep them separated for now I guess or send them to jail together! Little adorable boogers.

I have 6 In the incubator 2 weeks from hatch. Maybe they will all be females so there will be more ladies to go around. My luck, will be 6 boys! Lol

I dunno... mine each have their own female or two, but seem to always go after another's which either a fight ensues or a helper for taking on the poor lady🤦‍♀️ It's ridiculous! It's mostly the black magpie drake and butterscotch drake that are the instigators. I'll keep them separated for now I guess or send them to jail together! Little adorable boogers.

I have 6 In the incubator 2 weeks from hatch. Maybe they will all be females so there will be more ladies to go around. My luck, will be 6 boys! Lol
I believe this is exactly why they stay in their separate crews. Mine do the same when they come near each other. I also think it causes some of the girls to go broody, just to get away from the gang attacks.

And I too always hope for more girls, and say I’m going to get rid of more boys, but my hens seem to hatch around 50/50 every time. It’s so annoying. Luckily it only lasts about a month now, and another month in the late summer.

I believe this is exactly why they stay in their separate crews. Mine do the same when they come near each other. I also think it causes some of the girls to go broody, just to get away from the gang attacks.

And I too always hope for more girls, and say I’m going to get rid of more boys, but my hens seem to hatch around 50/50 every time. It’s so annoying. Luckily it only lasts about a month now, and another month in the late summer.
Good to know! How many do you have total? Males? Females?

I have at least 3 developing nicely. I discarded one that was obviously a dud (bright yellow with lots of little bubbles floating around), and I think several more that are orange and maybe developing but I don't see obvious veins on.

Attachments

• PXL_20230320_130852249.jpg
    PXL_20230320_130852249.jpg
    165 KB · Views: 2

Back
Top Bottom