marking eggs

laughaha

Songster
9 Years
May 5, 2010
I'm just getting into hatching purebreed chicks. What can I use to mark the eggs with breed/date/etc? Can I use a permanent marker? I don't know why I can't find a pencil- actually I'm pretty sure my chi puppy stole them but I can't find where she hid them.

get a pencil.If you cannot afford a pencil,Ill mail a box of em to you.A permanent marker will kill em.An egg is porus.it will seep into the shell as a toxin.

dollar general is a good source to by pencils.
clap.gif

lol

I can afford pencils, but thanks for offering. Was just hoping I wouldn't have to go and buy some but I guess I will tonight.

I use permanent marker all the time. The very fine ones. I can see the mark better and the markings don't show on the inside of the shell. Permanent marker won't rub off under a hen either (I have very good hatch rates (on my own eggs, I don't usually mark shipped eggs ... maybe I need to!).

Permanent markers won't hurt them. But if you are uncomfortable with it, use pencil
smile.png

Just an addition
smile.png

I just checked my markers and both my BIC Mark-It and my Sharpie fine point are labeled as nontoxic. So I'd look to see that the marker is nontoxic, and if it is, go for it.

I have sharpies. Lots and lots of different colored sharpies that I hide so I don't lose them or have DH set them down somewhere where Dizzy can get to them.

Funny story-
My chi puppy- Dizzy- is 5 months old. Yesterday we were outside painting the new pheasant pen (barn red of course). Dizzy decided that she REALLY liked the paintbrushes (wooden) and kept stealing it if I put it down for even a second. Do you have any idea what she looked like? I'll give you a clue- barn red looks just like blood on a tan chihuahua. She looked like a little vicious piranha that had annihilated something. Boy was bathtime fun last night!!!! Apparently water is bad but blood red paint is okay to have all over you. lol

Back
Top Bottom