Marsh Daisy

The Marsh Daisy are getting older.

Notice the blue feet in the bottom picture. This one will not be used for breeding as the feet should be willow green.

Do you have any pictures of some "good" willow green legs?
Willow green is very difficult to photograph on my property as the cameras try to oversaturate the green grass. But basically it is not mustard or bright yellow and not blue. The ones with blue legs (culls) will be obvious. The ones with yellow legs will also be obvious. The willow color may not be obvious until they are 3 months old. But you can definitely tell the blue ones. The blue will only get darker (see the picture above).

The things you should cull for in the first generation:

1. cross-beak
2. blue legs (they seem to be only found on the dark brown chicks)
3. yellow legs (can be on any color chick)
4. single comb

When we all get to the second generation we can start to work on the feather colors. I really wish the original breeder in the U.K. had not crossed the colors. It's going to take a lot of culling to clean the colors up to what they originally were. I know they did it to save the breed but it made a mess of things.

wee.gif

Yeah Eggs!

I saw the photo of this handsome fella the other day. He isn't mine, but I liked his upright stance and full breast.

Yeah the buff color is nice. We could extract it from the Greenfire line with many generations. But I am actually thinking of trying to import them from a well known breeder in the U.K. Right now I can't get him to agree to do the necessary tests (they have to test EVERY bird and it only lasts 30 days). So it might actually be easier to breed it from the existing GFF stock.

Ya...I have no desire to import birds, but since I have a lot of imported line birds I have looked into the process to see what is required for the importers to get birds here. Working with what I have always seems like the easiest way to do things.
smile.png

Ya...I have no desire to import birds, but since I have a lot of imported line birds I have looked into the process to see what is required for the importers to get birds here. Working with what I have always seems like the easiest way to do things.
smile.png
Since the GFF imports appear to have been a cross of the brown and the wheaten, it seems like a project worth doing as we will need to clean-up the colors, anyways. I am importing another line of Ayam Cemani and it is already giving me a headache. So I don't know if I need that additional headache.

Back
Top Bottom