Marsh Daisy

So I finally decided that the Marsh Daisy eggs have passed the pullet size and ready for the incubator. They have been laying for a couple of months now. But I don't incubate tiny pullet eggs. I wanted these chicks to have the best start in life.

So 18 Marsh Daisy eggs and two Svart Hona eggs started incubation today. Very exciting day.

Friends,
We have a trio of brown Marsh Daisies from Greenfire. They just started laying about a week ago. We also have three juvenile blacks, not certain of their sex but looks like 3 cockerels, or 2 hens and a cockerel. All of these were sent as "packing peanuts," and while we care very much about them and think they're delightful, we don't have a breeding program for them. If you are interested in these birds, or know someone who is, please have them PM us soon.
Best,
Brice @ SF

Got got three MD's. It looks as though the pullets (2) have blue legs. Which I rather liked.
sad.png
One has a single comb.
sad.png
The cockereal has green legs and the proper comb.

I will have to deal with these three unless I can find some eggs to hatch.

I'm seeing MD's in various colors including white. Would anyone like to set me straight on what's what. Buff, Brown, Black?

Eggs size? I kinda got these in an offhand deal. I liked them but wasn't sure, but then through the power of the internet committed myself so here I am.

Are they a hardy breed?

Rancher

I don't have any MD's but know a few people that do both in the USA and the UK. The original Marsh Daisy were very hardy. They were developed from White Leghorn, Wheaten Malay, English Game, Pit Fowl, and Sicilian Buttercup. They were nearly extinct in the 70's and today are still in critically low numbers. As you can imagine the gene pool is quite narrow and with the lack of high volume breeding programs the quality is not what you will find in more common breeds. If I remember correctly White, Wheaten, Brown, Black, and Buff are all recognized color varieties.

Today the Marsh Daisy can have problems due to inbreeding. For example I have heard one report of heart problems in the cockerels at about 2 years. Not much is know about the USA bloodlines. If they are good quality then they should be hardy like the early Marsh Daisy. It sounds like the USA MD's were out crossed some where along the way if they are producing blue legs and single combs so they may have fewer problems with genetic depression (or may not). At any rate they will require a lot of work to get back to the origins of the breed to meet the breed standards.

Working with this breed would be a good thing to work on. Post photos and update on your trio. That is how we learn.

Last edited:
I'd like to get some hatching eggs if I'm going to continue with these. I prefer bigger birds since it's cold here in the winters. Though I have to say I've not had a hard time with any surviving the winter.

I'll post pics later.

So I did a little looking and I think there are black and brown. these are more red than brown.

the roo has the willow legs but the hens have more blue, which is not good. They're not yet laying.

Green Fire says they're working with the brown and these are supposed to have come from GF so I don't feel too bad.

I'll just have to do the best I can.

they are a friendly breed but fliers. Not a good thing IMO. Unless I build a covered run.

Is there anyone else who have grown birds to discuss their behavior. Mine are so much fun to watch, always in search of something, but never seem to find anything! Always the first to stop a fight on the playground, but the last ones to be bullied or to start the fight. I wish I had nothing but Marsh Daisy's.....There are great...Even the babies carry on the same personality. They first to escape the coop, but never go far and always want back in at dusk.....The leaders of my pack, everyone else seems to listen to what they say, and do as they say....Great birds in my book! They are the big boom n such a little package. I agree with others on the American Marsh Daisy, they need a lot of work, mine lay white eggs, that look just like a Scillian Buttercup. I assume, that not to far down someone is trying to fix the willow green leg issue by crossing with a Scillian Buttercup. My hens eggs are the exact same color, and size of the Buttercup. I am ok with that, I have all Brown Marsh Daisy's and I love them almost to a fault.

Last edited:
Just found your thread, I have been looking for Marsh Daisy's every where! I love these birds and their crazy personalities...Do you still have the ones your trying to rehome?

I do but have decided to keep them. I will however be willing to sell hatching eggs for a reasonable price. Certainly not the over priced prices I've seen for some breeds. The risk of having a decent hatch with shipped eggs should be reflected in the price imo. These have not started to lay yet, but come spring I expect they should have been laying for a while. Unless you're willing to work out a trade.
Is there anyone else who have grown birds to discuss their behavior. Mine are so much fun to watch, always in search of something, but never seem to find anything! Always the first to stop a fight on the playground, but the last ones to be bullied or to start the fight. I wish I had nothing but Marsh Daisy's.....There are great...Even the babies carry on the same personality. They first to escape the coop, but never go far and always want back in at dusk.....The leaders of my pack, everyone else seems to listen to what they say, and do as they say....Great birds in my book! They are the big boom n such a little package. I agree with others on the American Marsh Daisy, they need a lot of work, mine lay white eggs, that look just like a Scillian Buttercup. I assume, that not to far down someone is trying to fix the willow green leg issue by crossing with a Scillian Buttercup. My hens eggs are the exact same color, and size of the Buttercup. I am ok with that, I have all Brown Marsh Daisy's and I love them almost to a fault.

Now here's my experience with these three. They are friendly in that they follow you if you are out. In fact as I was going out one afternoon here were the three of them standing on the stoop outside the door but inside the garage as though waiting to come in.
lol.png
( I once had a marans hen who for a time laid her egg in the same spot)

Now these three are fliers and roamers. They will come when you call but with woods I'm afraid to let them out. Lately I've been keeping them in the coop so they eat grower feed instead of the scratch they chase after me for. I've found that chickens like to be with you and these three are no different.

I've not really done a lot in the way of standard if there is one. I assume these to be brown but seem more red to me. I posted here looking for new blood. Am I right in beleiving all of the Daisies came from Green Fire Farms?

My rooster has the willow green legs and one hen seems good there too. The other hen has blue. Since these are all I have I'll have to work with what Iv'e got. No one here in NYS seems to have them or is not saying. I'd take even a second rooster to work with.

I've had a number of breeds. For awhile some SFH's but sold those in favor of Delaware, C. Rocks, Birchen Marans (another hard for me to find GF breed local) and Easter Eggers. Now I have these Daisies.

I had not read the cross to S.Buttercups. I wouldn't think egg color would be an indication of a cross though.

I am not sure how good of a layer they are nor whether they do good in confinement. I sort of got these due to a miscommunication so here they are. I expect I'll hatch out a lot of chicks to fix whatever I think is wrong, just as I am doing with my Birchen Marans. There are plenty of folks willing to take the culls.

I'll post recent pics when I get the chance.

Back
Top Bottom