Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
It looks like she will at least get to keep her foot pad which is good! I think you've become her flock now :) I'm glad to see she is still doing well.

I have tended to the bumblefoot on one of my hens for a couple of years now, and I believe it was because of the constant handling, but she has become a wonderful companion and lap chicken. However, all chickens are different. I have another with a similar story, and it's a knock down drag out battle every time I have to treat her. They are both still wonderful chickens :)

I am so sorry for Matilda and you. She seems stoic, though, so she will pull through. She's lucky she has you to care for her.

Happy Easter to your both, and good luck, as well. :hugs
Stoic is the Perfect word for her. Shes also very patient, which is a very good thing since so far ive often felt like a bumbling chicken doctor. Will post some updated photos in a bit.

It looks like she will at least get to keep her foot pad which is good! I think you've become her flock now :) I'm glad to see she is still doing well.

I have tended to the bumblefoot on one of my hens for a couple of years now, and I believe it was because of the constant handling, but she has become a wonderful companion and lap chicken. However, all chickens are different. I have another with a similar story, and it's a knock down drag out battle every time I have to treat her. They are both still wonderful chickens :)
Yes the pad on her Right foot still looks healthy. The left foot, however, parted ways with her Easter sunday morn. Will post updated photos in a bit. I have an issue i want to research first, & would like input from people here too. Thanks guys, be back in a little while. 🙂

Yes the pad on her Right foot still looks healthy. The left foot, however, parted ways with her Easter sunday morn. Will post updated photos in a bit. I have an issue i want to research first, & would like input from people here too. Thanks guys, be back in a little while. 🙂
I hate to hear that she did lose it, but we all knew it was coming :(

I am anxious to hear additional updates. Thank you!

So sorry for Matilda. How is she handling the loss of her foot?

It must have been a shock to you, too, even if you knew it was coming. :hugs
It wasnt a shock so much, since "blood and guts" really dont faze me at all, & i of course knew she would lose the foot. What it was, was umm, a "surprise". The separation looked Nothing like ive seen in other frostbite threads. I will explain more in the pics im fixin to post. The following photos will be very graphic, not because im into gore, but because i REally need some educated opinions on what is going on with her feet. (Do i need to put a "cover" over the graphic photos, or is the thread title enough of a warning? If so, hmm i dont know how to put the green block (spoiler) over the photos. The oddity(s) likely have everything to do with how the frostbite happened. Tu everyone for your advice and support, & if you know Anyone that might have helpful medical input, could you tag them please? Pics coming next.

Sunday morning April 4. I awoke and first thing i did was check on Matilda. I saw her left foot sticking out from underneath her chest, & could see it was starting to detach. This photo is the last taken while Matilda was still wearing her foot. I dont know what i expected, but i havent seen any photos of exact moment of detachment. The dead part of foot was dried and shriveled, but the live part had a bloody "blob" at the end.

Attachments

• 20210404_094107.jpg
    20210404_094107.jpg
    349.5 KB · Views: 91
  • 20210404_094137.jpg
    20210404_094137.jpg
    538.5 KB · Views: 92

Back
Top Bottom