Matilda is going to lose her feet. :(

Pics
There is still no obvious change in the top of Matilda's right foot or remaining toes. A full 3 months after the frostbite ocurred back in february, the skin remains blackened, rigid and hard. Since the inner toe detached 4 weeks ago, the only other obvious progression is that the spur continues to shrink away. Is it is possible that the condition of the foot is permanent after all? I have no idea.

I am going to show some photos of her in a natural environment, taken this past weekend. Her right foot is visible in several of the pics. I had taken her outside to get yes, more photos of her foot. Hadn't intended to put her on the ground, since due to continued heavy rains and flooding, the soil remains saturated and wet. But as i held her in my arms, she peered longingly down at the ground. So i hunted for the driest area i could find, & sat her down. Before too long, someone wandered over.
20210517_174943.jpg

The hen that came over is a red-sex link (rir/delaware cross), & tends to be quite bossy. I was on guard for a confrontation, & by her tense posture, Matilda didnt know what to expect either.
20210517_175915~2.jpg

The visitor circled Matilda and looked directly into her eyes. I dont know how chickens refer to each other, but in human-speak the red hen seemed to be asking, "Matilda?! Is that really you?! Girl, Where have you been?!!"
20210517_175256.jpg

The red hen gently pecked some shavings from Matilda's rear end, then stood very near Matilda while both preened. The red hen next plopped right up against Matilda and spread her wing to soak up some sun. Though Matilda has been absent from her flock for 3 months and counting, these 2 hens are clearly old friends!
20210517_175109.jpg

Eventually some others also wandered near. (Matilda is in the middle of the group.) Company, but not necessarily friends. The others soon left, but the red hen stayed near Matilda for at least 10 minutes. If only Matilda's friend could tell me what is going on with her right foot!
20210517_175843.jpg

20210517_175707.jpg

Thank you for the update! I was just wondering about her earlier today. Glad to see she's doing well, and so cute that she got to have a play date with her flock. ❤ is this the first time she's seen them this whole time? I wonder if she remembers that she's a chicken, haha.

Maybe the foot has just dried on to the nub underneath somehow and gotten stuck? I can't imagine that there's still any live flesh in those toes if they are stiff and you haven't seen any fresh skin growth by now. Surely it will fall off eventually... or maybe it's like a husk and there's little toe nubs in there holding it in place. I guess we'll find out eventually!

Okay so more than likley nothing more will happen loss wise as she walks the color may change is the leg and foot..
Gosh it would be nice if they would tell us..
I think you are still doing great
@Eggcessive , @azygous , anyone else with frostbite knowledge, would you mind giving your latest opinion? The bottom of her foot is healthy. The top remains blackened, rigid and hard, with no obvious change in 4 weeks. @penny1960 is a retired dvm. If none of you can guess what is going on/gonna happen, likely no one can.

Earlier today, i included a photo of Matilda on the ground, attempting to bear (a little) weight on her foot. Her right foot is clearly visible from the front view in the first photo from earlier today. The foot is pretty useless tho, and she seems to have no feeling in it at all.

Attachments

• 20210517_174712.jpg
    20210517_174712.jpg
    399.2 KB · Views: 24
  • 20210517_174643.jpg
    20210517_174643.jpg
    230.6 KB · Views: 25
Thank you for the update! I was just wondering about her earlier today. Glad to see she's doing well, and so cute that she got to have a play date with her flock. ❤ is this the first time she's seen them this whole time? I wonder if she remembers that she's a chicken, haha.

Maybe the foot has just dried on to the nub underneath somehow and gotten stuck? I can't imagine that there's still any live flesh in those toes if they are stiff and you haven't seen any fresh skin growth by now. Surely it will fall off eventually... or maybe it's like a husk and there's little toe nubs in there holding it in place. I guess we'll find out eventually!
Yes that is the first time she has intermingled with her flock. Its been non-stop rain and flooding for weeks, & i didnt want to put her on muddy ground and risk infection as her wounds healed. She will get to be with them more eventually, but meanwhile the 10 day forecast calls for a lot more rain!

@Eggcessive , @azygous , anyone else with frostbite knowledge, would you mind giving your latest opinion? The bottom of her foot is healthy. The top remains blackened, rigid and hard, with no obvious change in 4 weeks. @penny1960 is a retired dvm. If none of you can guess what is going on/gonna happen, likely no one can.

Earlier today, i included a photo of Matilda on the ground, attempting to bear (a little) weight on her foot. Her right foot is clearly visible from the front view in the first photo from earlier today. The foot is pretty useless tho, and she seems to have no feeling in it at all.
I'm sorry to tell you this, but all of the black area on that foot is dead tissue. It's going to fall off. Right now it's connected by a small strip of flesh inside the foot around the bones, but once that flesh loosens, the foot is gone.

1621646605955.png

The good news is that while she has the pad of that foot, she should still be able to maintain her balance enough that the loss of her feet won't effect her too much. She'll hobble, though.

I'm sorry to tell you this, but all of the black area on that foot is dead tissue. It's going to fall off. Right now it's connected by a small strip of flesh inside the foot around the bones, but once that flesh loosens, the foot is gone.

View attachment 2682018

The good news is that while she has the pad of that foot, she should still be able to maintain her balance enough that the loss of her feet won't effect her too much. She'll hobble, though.
Tu for your input. I have known the top part of her foot and toes were dead for a good while now. And had expected that portion to be long gone, since she lost her left foot April 4. Yes there is a sort of "separation" line on the foot denoting the dead part from the live. Thats why i posted a closeup view. But that line looks nothing like the demarcation line did on her left foot before it detached. The healthy bottom pad swelled up noticeably 4 weeks ago. I figured that meant separation would soon occur. Then a few days later the swelling went back down. Since then, the area separating the live part from bad has remained much the same with no more obvious change. Any further thoughts?

Tu for your input. I have known the top part of her foot and toes were dead for a good while now. And had expected that portion to be long gone, since she lost her left foot April 4. Yes there is a sort of "separation" line on the foot denoting the dead part from the live. Thats why i posted a closeup view. But that line looks nothing like the demarcation line did on her left foot before it detached. The healthy bottom pad swelled up noticeably 4 weeks ago. I figured that meant separation would soon occur. Then a few days later the swelling went back down. Since then, the area separating the live part from bad has remained much the same with no more obvious change. Any further thoughts?
Yeah, at this point it's just a matter of when the flesh that's holding the foot together is going to separate. There's not much to do now except wait. You can see where the necrotic flesh on the bottom has already separated from the healthy pad -- the inside of the foot just has to catch up now. I doubt you'll see any further swelling since the growth of the separation is hidden inside the foot now and the healthy flesh is slowly healing over. The dead part will just pop off on its own eventually.

Yes that is the first time she has intermingled with her flock. Its been non-stop rain and flooding for weeks, & i didnt want to put her on muddy ground and risk infection as her wounds healed. She will get to be with them more eventually, but meanwhile the 10 day forecast calls for a lot more rain!
Sadly I agree I do not think she will keep the foot but she still has it ?

Yeah, at this point it's just a matter of when the flesh that's holding the foot together is going to separate. There's not much to do now except wait. You can see where the necrotic flesh on the bottom has already separated from the healthy pad -- the inside of the foot just has to catch up now. I doubt you'll see any further swelling since the growth of the separation is hidden inside the foot now and the healthy flesh is slowly healing over. The dead part will just pop off on its own eventually.
That is exactly what i was wanting to know. I have seen some of your posts on other threads, & you seem very knowledgeable. Are you by chance an undercover veterinarian offering your knowledge on byc for free?! :D Probably best not to answer that, but either way thank you very much.

One more question, & i will quit picking your brain. "Blood and gore" doesnt bother me, & i was unfazed when her left foot detached. But i have long dreaded the day the top foot detaches from the bottom. Because what should i expect to see? Exposed bones of her entire foot? Is live tissue currently healing and covering the bones underneath the dead top of foot before it detaches? I have considered the answer to that question for many weeks now, since i knew the top part was dead and the bottom was healthy. I will post photos here when the detachment occurs. But would sure feel better kinda knowing what to expect. There are plenty of photos of amputations such as happened with her left foot, but i can find no similiar photos as the right.

Back
Top Bottom