May 2020 Hatch-A-Long

We have 1 :eek::wee. Shes under the broody hen and my husband made me leave her alone:barnie, but i saw a little blackish wet head sticking out and chirping. Today is day 20. 7 more eggs to go. I dont know what kind of chicks we have, as i ordered mix of eggs, but will post pics soon and maybe get some advice fom everyone. So excited this is my first hatch. The eggs were medium size light green and some brown and 1 larger white egg

Last edited:
Oh my goodness guys !!
So florence wanted to try and candle two eggs we put in for an experiment . Shop bought free range eggs ! Now these eggs are blue so I wasnt sure I could candle them . But look ! We only put two in and look what's happened to one !
20200512_221746.jpg

Attachments

• 20200512_220615.jpg
    20200512_220615.jpg
    189.4 KB · Views: 11
My broody hen, Moonshine has chicks peeping under her! This is day 20. My incubator chicks of the same breed hatched on day 20, (last week.) Moonshine has 7 eggs, 6 of the early type, and one of the normally 21 day. I hope she holds out for the 7th egg. It was quite cold today, which encouraged all the chicks to stay under her. Her nest is big enuf for food and water, I'll add those tomorrow if the chicks are getting antsy.
Here's how we are doing lockdown for her....to keep others out. Literally locked in.
broody lockdown.jpg She does have a side door into her private apartment, but I will have to lift the chicks down for her. Tomorrow or the next day.

I woke up this morning to find my incubator temperature down to 97 degrees! I instantly freaked out and of course raised the temp. I don’t know why it went down so much, I definitely have it set higher and it was fine all day.
Anyway, candled an egg and the little duck was wriggling around. I’ll be checking the other 19 eggs tonight but geeze, not a way I like to start the day!

Sorry for the late post, but everything that I do lately is late. Last Thursday and Friday we had 7 ameracaunas hatch, 2 at one daughter’s house(C) and 5 at the other daughter’s house(A). Last month when I hatched ameraucanas, I didn’t get in yellow chicks. I was ready to get rid of the buff hens and possibly the rooster. Well, this time we got 6 yellow chicks and 1 black/brown one. Go figure. We had 3 incubators to start with. Each had 6 eggs. Each incubator had 2 eggs that never started/weren’t fertile. One in mine was an early quitter. Daughter C had 2 quitters and the last 2 hatched. I gave daughter A my eggs because I was having issues keeping the humidity regulated. She had 5 hatch, 1 DIS (malpositioned) and 1 late quitter. 18 eggs started, 6 not fertile, 7 chicks. Daughter C hasn’t parted with her babies. Let’s see if she will be able to have a couple of hens.

2A9A6296-781B-4951-A4C7-B294AA9C7E6D.jpeg
5BF6302E-42B9-4298-812D-1FE2C05AB855.jpeg
73AF1A1C-4770-4C9A-AED3-81BBCA201346.jpeg

Sorry for the late post, but everything that I do lately is late. Last Thursday and Friday we had 7 ameracaunas hatch, 2 at one daughter’s house(C) and 5 at the other daughter’s house(A). Last month when I hatched ameraucanas, I didn’t get in yellow chicks. I was ready to get rid of the buff hens and possibly the rooster. Well, this time we got 6 yellow chicks and 1 black/brown one. Go figure. We had 3 incubators to start with. Each had 6 eggs. Each incubator had 2 eggs that never started/weren’t fertile. One in mine was an early quitter. Daughter C had 2 quitters and the last 2 hatched. I gave daughter A my eggs because I was having issues keeping the humidity regulated. She had 5 hatch, 1 DIS (malpositioned) and 1 late quitter. 18 eggs started, 6 not fertile, 7 chicks. Daughter C hasn’t parted with her babies. Let’s see if she will be able to have a couple of hens.

View attachment 2136637View attachment 2136640View attachment 2136641

Beautiful! I'm on Day 16 of a Wheaton Ameraucana hatch. Started with 7 eggs and two appear to be early quitters. Hoping the other 5 will pull through. I had a 100% hatch with my own chicken eggs just last month in the same incubator as a test run, but of course I have no control over how these eggs were stored (two were seven days old, three six days old, and the last were five days old when I got them, transported - driven, not shipped, so a bit better, and the health of the parent stock as they were purchased from elsewhere in the province. I believe mine should come out just like your yellow ones if it's a successful hatch!

Batch 3 is pipping. Batch 4 is locked down. Batch 5 is 5 days from lockdown with Batch 6 three days later. Batch 6 is FBCM that is a 7-8 on the chart so even though today is candle day, I've found I can't see a darn thing until day 18. At that point I can see clears and early quitters as the shell becomes light enough to candle into.

I've been loving this hatch-a-long thread and seriously, I really want to hatch out some new ducklings now ...
However, I set 22 eggs Tuesday of last week: 19 ameraucana eggs (blue or splash chicks) and 3 ameraucana mixes. I candled them tonight and I could easily make out developing chicks in at least half of the eggs, but some of these eggs are really opaque. Maybe I need the room to be even darker? The incubator's display lights were still on next to me.
Here are two lively ones:
IMG_20200512_210310.jpg

IMG_20200512_205932.jpg

And a number of them looked like this (excuse my cell phone photos!):
IMG_20200512_211220.jpg

Turning them, I could see a slightly darker side and a slightly lighter side, but making any veins out was impossible/I felt like I was seeing things. Is this normal? I hatched out ameraucana last year and I don't remember having this issue, but it was the first time I had incubated chicken eggs ...

Back
Top Bottom