May Hatch-a-Long!

Pics

BirdyGirl7198

Songster
8 Years
Nov 14, 2011
Lethbridge
Hey everybody! I was wondering if anyone wants to join the May hatch a long! I have 2 dozen welsh harlequin duck eggs that I put in the incubator yesterday at 7pm. They're due to hatch on May 6th. Anyone have any eggs due to hatch in May?? All avian creatures welcome!

I waited thru the night "just in case" something unfortunate happened. But, Today I have happy news!
Antonia who went boners and smashed 2 eggs earlier this week is finally a mom!
She has one adorable fat chick! She's still on 2 more eggs (I removed the overage of eggs which I suspect bcs of their different gestational ages contributed to her melt down, maybe?). She's tucked in and looking dedicated. The chick must be healthy and cared for bcs it looks so great for its first 24 hours out of a shell!
Excuse the poor pic quality. The sun was streaming in and I didn't want to disturb anything since she was calmly letting me hold her first chick ever!

My wet bulb in the low 80's means the humidity is in the 40's on the high end so I'm right there with you. The hatch 101 article is awesome and I continue to re-read it. I have been marking the air cells and I'll know tomorrow night if I need to adjust for the last week. I agree that the hatch 101 article is completely empowering. This is only my second incubation and I feel completely in control this time, not only because of that article but because I can come here for emergency advice. I'm perpetually in awe of the Internet and how it has democratized information.

I have to ask--which ones are which breeds? I think I can recognize the silkies but they look larger than the Icelandic? I have never seen an Icelandic.

This really IS a great forum. I learn new things every day!

Oh this pic is of the 8 silkies!
Here's one of the 5 icelandics! Oh and the Silkies are smaller then the Icelandics. When they came out of the eggs their feet were HUGE lol!

Purchased a new Dickey's cabinet incubator earlier this month and loaded up the first set on the 13th. I then remembered the BYC hatch-a-long threads and decided to jump right in. I will be just incubating in the Dickey's and hatching in two other units. Much better for cleanliness of cabinet and will be able to set more eggs with staggered hatches.

Set a total of 81 eggs. Breeds include: black ameraucana, cuckoo marans, black copper marans project birds, new hamps and a smattering of olive egger project. Let's see how the Dickey's performs! Holding good temps currently. I use dry hatch method for incubating in this Florida summer weather. Good luck to all on your sets and hatches.

Hello everyone!

I hope you don’t mind me jumping in on your hatch along? I was talking with my sister-in-law about getting chickens again and she told me she had a broody hen. I was like SCORE! So, I ordered 3 Partridge Brahma eggs and 3 Oliver Egger eggs from Papa’s Poultry. Well, what I didn’t know was that they send “extras”. I received 11 eggs total 6, PB and 5 OE! What could be wrong with extra eggs you might ask?? The issue with this is that little Pecky can’t sit on more than 5 medium size eggs and a few of the PB’s were larger. So…I did what any expecting chicken mom would do…I whipped out the incubator and put the remaining 6 in on May 12th. Pecky is sitting on 3 PB’s and 2 OE’s, that leaves me with 3 PB’s and 3 OE’s!

Then I was reading about the hatch rate of shipped eggs…and thought…hmm…OK…just get more eggs! Right? So, I ordered 12 Blue Isbar eggs and 12 Easter Egger eggs. They arrived, she sent 14 Isbar and two were badly cracked during shipping so that left me with 12. I received 13 Easter Egger eggs which all arrived in one piece!

I will be setting these in the incubator tonight when I candle my Partridge Brahma eggs. I can’t candle the Olive Eggers…they are too dark…so I’ll have to wait till hatch day to see what happens. It will be like a kid waiting to open presents on Christmas! LOL! I did candle the eggs under Pecky yesterday when she was out taking a break from being a mama! I confirmed that one of the PB’s is developing…the other two looked clear to me, but my sister-in-law thinks differently, no biggie, I didn’t intend to remove them anyway. Again…not able to peek at the OE’s :barnie.

When we were done candling the eggs yesterday my sister-in-law said “watch this”. She opened the door and yelled “Pecky, Pecky, your eggs are getting cold, your eggs are getting cold!” That hen came running in, slid sideways hopped into her box and rolled her eggs back under her and looked at us as if to say…” What is so funny?” It was hilarious! I wish she had warned me about what I was going to see! I’d have videoed it! It was too cute!

So, that is my hatching story for now, thanks for reading and I look forward to reading about the hatches you have going on!

Oh…and I did want to thank everyone that shares their vast knowledge, success and failures on here…it is awesome and quite the learning experience!

Happy hatching everyone!

Tina

Some good news! For now my incubator is holding temps and the manufacturer is sending me a new one that should be here by Monday.

Some REALLY good news. I candled the 16 eggs. 1 quitter and 2 questionable. THE REST HAD MOVEMENT!!!!!

So relieved. Now I just need the bator to hold on till Monday. ~crossing all my bendy parts~

Back
Top Bottom