Mealworm farming

Quote:
If they do, tell them with a sigh that you'll just go with the backup plan then... maggots!
gig.gif

Or even better big fat dubia roaches!!!!

When working a 3 bin system do you put anything different into the top bin with the beetles? I have some potatoe slice in there now and the beetles just seem to ignore them. I have also been seeing a lot of dead beetles so I was wondering if I should be doing something different.
Also long before I should be able to see the 2nd generations of little wigglies after I have beetles? My eyes are not very good but the 2nd bin does not look like it has any eggs in it. They are kept at a temp of about 73.

Quote:
Best thing is, you can use large ice cream tubs or some such thing, keep it in a secret place and they would never know... Shhhhhh.
duc.gif

Then if they catch you and ask what you are doing, say, " playing with my worm(s).". They will quietly back out and shut the door.

Last edited:
Well, I have one bin in the bathroom closet so far. They seem slower, more sluggish lately in all my bins.
I do know that the ones in the bathroom closet are not getting wet foods as often because by the time I get back to the kitchen I have forgotten about them and start doing something else. I suppose I will have to work out some sort of note or maybe they could send me smoke signals.
big_smile.png

Haven't tried too many different foods, though I might later. Mine don't care for potatoes too much so I am hesitant to try too much new stuff. I had run out of apples the other day and gave them Romaine lettuce. They weren't thrilled but it is gone now. Today is another apple day.

I snuck out a small bowl of mealies and laid it in the grass to see how long before the Ameraucanas noticed it....

10 seconds.....

9332_amera_kids_10-11_luvs_mealworms.jpg

30 seconds......

9332_amera_kids_10-11_outta_my_way.jpg

And then......

9332_amera_kids_10-11_treat_bowl.jpg

Afterwards I got the "Do you have more? Huh, do ya? Huh, Huh?"
bow.gif

9332_amera_kids_10-11_more_treats.jpg

And that is why I raise them. For the love of my chickens.
love.gif

BTW, there are other breeds in there besides Ameraucanas. They just house together in a tractor at night but it was the grow up pen for my kids and they now just mingle so don't feel like you are seeing weird stuff.

Back
Top Bottom