Mealworm farming

Quote:
Why no fruits? I gave my colony ripe netarines, mangos, watermelon rinds, apple cores. These things get gobbled up and disappear overnight, except for the nectarine pits. If the fruits get eaten quickly, shouldn't they be okay? As it is summer, fruits are plentiful and I didn't want to have to buy carrots while I have leftover fruits.

Quote:
Fruits are o.k. under good circumstances--such as those your colony is enjoying right now. As long as your colony is up to the task of cleaning up everything overnight you probably won't run into any problems. With fewer inhabitants to consume the fruits (as is often the case with new colonies), trouble can pop up. It's the accumulation of moisture (especially fruits) which can attract fruit flies and mites. The drier vegetables that hannakat suggests will help limit moisture problems in the colony.

Fruits are o.k. under good circumstances--such as those your colony is enjoying right now. As long as your colony is up to the task of cleaning up everything overnight you probably won't run into any problems. With fewer inhabitants to consume the fruits (as is often the case with new colonies), trouble can pop up. It's the accumulation of moisture (especially fruits) which can attract fruit flies and mites. The drier vegetables that hannakat suggests will help limit moisture problems in the colony.
Agree with the above. A few times I have left a watermelon rind a little too long and did attract a few fruit flies, but they left when I removed the rind. I keep my three drawer system outside here in humid Florida, no screens. I keep it on my shaded back deck and they seem to be thriving. I am considering the single tub method, though because as the colony gets bigger, It takes longer to separate the life stages into the drawers. I guess that's what my kids are for
big_smile.png

For outside fly/gnat issues - Go to Goodwill or Salvation Army and get a large sheer curtain. Wrap it around the bin or just drape it over and tuck it under the bottom. That will keep fruit flies and gnats out for the most part. Better yet, you could put velcro around the base and fit the curtain with the self-stick (or sew it on if you want) velcro and customize it a bit to make the bin drawers easier to access. You could just remove the front piece if you cut the curtain to fit and velcroed around the front edge. Hmmm. That's a purdy good idear, lol.

Ok, Hannakat, will do. I keep loads around. We have fruitfly issues, too, which is part of why I'd like something they don't particularly 'go' for to feed 'em. So far, have given cooked lentils, which they seemed to like. I'll try dry later, just added a cup of COB yesterday, so they've got lots of dry food to munch on right now, easier to experiment when there's less stuff in the tank. Jon bought the 'large' - it had 2 adult beetles in it already, which I haven't seen since, and yesterday there must have been a hundred shed skins on the top. I'm hoping the whole lot will pupate soon.

Been trying to convince Jon (whose idea this was) that he needs to take out potatoes and apples overnight if they aren't gone. Last day's posts have cemented that for me. I loathe fruit flies. Those and 'sugar' ants about drive me out of my mind. The rational part of my brain shuts off and I compulsively clean, even though I know it won't do a dratted thing to stop 'em. I'd rather just not attract them to begin with! Mealworms and BSF larvae ain't nuthin'.

But please, no more giant flying cockroach stories. With their own zip codes. I don't live S/E for a reason!!!!
tongue2.gif

Was wondering: What is the best way to avoid the allergies I've read about mealworms? It seems like its the frass that causes the allergies. My concern is sifting out the frass and doing it with safety. I planned on feeding my chickens some worms everyday, is that too much contact with mealworms?
Thank you

Back
Top Bottom