Mealworm farming

Thanks. I see the problem now, I think I was not allowing enough airflow in the containers. So you're saying that they should be kept indoors with open containers?

Thanks. I see the problem now, I think I was not allowing enough airflow in the containers. So you're saying that they should be kept indoors with open containers?

Yes. I think that, along with the earlier feeding advice, will go a long way towards success in your climate. Good luck and let us know how it works out for you.

I have to say I enjoy meal worm farming for the girls but recently I have been sneezing after going in one of my 3 drawers or feed or pull out some worms for the girls.

Does anyone find that they may have or noticed they have allergy symptoms after being in the "Wheat Bran?" I have the same symptoms any normal person has outside. Sneezing, watery eyes, nose running and sinus issues for hours after being in the drawers. How do I know it is the "Wheat Bran" you may be saying? Well no allergies for days and just go down to the meal worm area and open a drawer and just touch or move anything in the draw and 15 minutes later I have to take a allergy pill to reduce symptoms. Is it my imagination or do any of you have similar things going on?

Thanks Steve

I have to say I enjoy meal worm farming for the girls but recently I have been sneezing after going in one of my 3 drawers or feed or pull out some worms for the girls.

Does anyone find that they may have or noticed they have allergy symptoms after being in the "Wheat Bran?" I have the same symptoms any normal person has outside. Sneezing, watery eyes, nose running and sinus issues for hours after being in the drawers. How do I know it is the "Wheat Bran" you may be saying? Well no allergies for days and just go down to the meal worm area and open a drawer and just touch or move anything in the draw and 15 minutes later I have to take a allergy pill to reduce symptoms. Is it my imagination or do any of you have similar things going on?

Thanks Steve

That's a bummer Steve. Allergies to the proteins in the mealworms themselves are usually the root cause and not the bran. It is not uncommon for people who work with them to develop allergies to them as described here and here. I'd try using a mask when working with the colony and if you still notice symptoms, get rid of them.
sad.png

Frost Homestead, your superworm set-up looks amazing! Are you keeping them on pine shavings? Are you separating them for pupation? Could you share with us how you're raising them?

That's a bummer Steve. Allergies to the proteins in the mealworms themselves are usually the root cause and not the bran. It is not uncommon for people who work with them to develop allergies to them as described here and here. I'd try using a mask when working with the colony and if you still notice symptoms, get rid of them.
sad.png
Hi Gallo del Cielo,
Is the allergies developed JUST when working with them. I have two bins in the house. Wondering if others can develop allergies with the bins in the room

Quote:
I don't know the answer to that. I think that the proteins become airborne when you're picking through the colony, so closer proximity to the colony would put you at higher risk. I can say that in my case, I've been around them indoors for decades, as has my family and none of us have developed an allergy to them. I know lots of people that have worked with them for years and never developed an allergy and I also know several who have. I also wonder about the proteins getting on your hands and then into your body that way, so washing your hands after digging in the colony would also be a good practice. In my opinion, the risk of allergies is one big reason not to separate pupae and beetles. Doing so dramatically increases your duration and intensity of exposure to them.

I don't know the answer to that. I think that the proteins become airborne when you're picking through the colony, so closer proximity to the colony would put you at higher risk. I can say that in my case, I've been around them indoors for decades, as has my family and none of us have developed an allergy to them. I know lots of people that have worked with them for years and never developed an allergy and I also know several who have. I also wonder about the proteins getting on your hands and then into your body that way, so washing your hands after digging in the colony would also be a good practice. In my opinion, the risk of allergies is one big reason not to separate pupae and beetles. Doing so dramatically increases your duration and intensity of exposure to them.
Thank you :)

Back
Top Bottom