Mealworm farming

I've been gone over a week and had left my crawlers a whole carrot. Just got back and threw in a quartered potato. They were on it in a flash and covered it. Poor things were so thirsty!

I've been gone over a week and had left my crawlers a whole carrot. Just got back and threw in a quartered potato. They were on it in a flash and covered it. Poor things were so thirsty!

They are tough little buggers, can leave them for quite a long time and they will still be happy to see you. I find my beetles really like celery and the larva go crazy over banana peals.

My wormies aren't currently eating any veges...they are just laying around waiting to change to pupae. The beetles, however, are going crazy! I added a piece of potato to the nursery today...not sure if there are any babies yet but I figured it should be there in case.

I have the beetles in a seperate sterlite shoe boxed sized container. with a pc. of fiberglass screen on bottom hot glued in place
what do I do with them....? will they eat the eggs they lay? they are turning into beetles so fast I startrd out with 12 ... I would call X large sized,worms (local bought)
Then bought 500 medium then weeks later 1000 large over Ebay... dont seem to be getting any new mealworms. All I see are lots of beetles, few worms and some puppa..... so could the beetles that I dont have seperated be eating the mealworm?
I have the 3 drawer medium large platic "file type boxes" prob Sterlite brand.....
give them lots of pumpkin peeled pieces with skin on and some odds and end veggies.... so what am I DOING WRONG ????
thanks all

Last edited:
Lady, it's probably just a matter of time. All they seem to need is warmth, food (wheat bran), air and water source (veggies). Once all that is dialed in, they sort of get on a roll of cycling through life stages. Mine love huddling together in the sheets of newspaper I put in there. Do your various sizes of worms seem to be compatible? I don't know much about the large and extra-large, but others on this forum do.

When the eggs hatch it can take awhile to be able to see the new larvae, they are microscopic....
...first sign I had was the wheat bran 'heaving' with movement, couldn't even see them individually.

Here's a basic timeline of development:

Stage Time*
Egg Incubation 4-19 days (usually 4-7). Another source says 20-40 days
Larva 10 weeks. Visible after about a week
Pupa 6-18 (18-24?) days
Beetle and Egg Laying 8-12 weeks (followed by death). Egg laying starts 4-19 days (average 12) after emergence
* time depends on temperature, relative humidity, food, etc. Different sources report different time frames.

Last edited:
I have baby worms!! Yaaaaaay!!
ep.gif
wee.gif

Back
Top Bottom