Mealworm farming

So I just started a mealworm farm for my chickens, but I accidentally bought Superworms. I read somewhere that they are sterile. My chicks are only about 4 weeks old though and I've read that the chickens can't eat the big worms. I'm not sure how accurate my info is, or if maybe it'd be easier to start a new colony. Thanks!

When the chicks get a little bigger (say four more weeks to be safe) I think you could feed Superworms. I have read the same, that those worms are infertile (although then I wonder how we get any, if you think about it). I think you could just get a batch of regular mealworms and add them in, and feed the Supers to your chickens. Meanwhile, enjoy your worm farm.

You can use the Supers to train your chickens to come when you call and eat out of your hand. it helps if you have an escapee chicken or just for fun! Teach them to jump for them, lol...

So I just started a mealworm farm for my chickens, but I accidentally bought Superworms. I read somewhere that they are sterile. My chicks are only about 4 weeks old though and I've read that the chickens can't eat the big worms. I'm not sure how accurate my info is, or if maybe it'd be easier to start a new colony. Thanks!
Welcome to BYC!

I think Super Worms pupate differently, larvae are isolated singularly to spur pupation?
This thread might help:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/t/762571/raising-mealworms-superworms-and-crickets

.....or there are more threads:
https://www.backyardchickens.com/ne...&order=descending&Search=SEARCH&Search=SEARCH

Read up on superworms, they are a different species with different requirements, they are also more cannibalistic and can take a long time to pupate if you don't force the issue. Apparently a single worm can go about 3 years before pupating if you don't make them. There is another one, can't remember what they call them, that are meal worms that have had a growth suppressant added to them, they get huge, but will not pupate so they cannot breed

Superworms are a different species than mealworms. Giant mealworms are sometimes treated to not pupate and sometimes just big mealworms. Just study up on what you want to deal with and what you really have.

Quote:
Oh, and one thing I forgot to mention, I would kill the superworms before feeding them to the birds, they can't handle cold temps, so putting them in the fridge or freezer for a bit will kill them easily. There are horror stories about chickens eating superworms whole and them chewing their way back out of the crop... Regular meal worms won't do that, but supers can due to the larger jaws.

"There are horror stories about chickens eating superworms whole and them chewing their way back out of the crop..."

All I can say is
ep.gif
barnie.gif
th.gif
I'd never heard of this.

Back
Top Bottom