Mealworm farming

Grain mites are....I just have no words.

The easiest thing to do, and there is no need to dump your colony, is to take the lid off the container and place it somewhere that it can dry out. I place my infested tray on a bench on the front porch and let the warm, dry breeze blow over it all day. (Avoid direct sunlight as that can cook the worms and beetles.) Then I bring it in and leave it to dry further overnight, and sometimes I place a fan to blow over it.

The mites will dry out and disappear as if by magic.

I just dumped the dregs of an old mealworm farm.
Old like I haven't looked at it for maybe 2-3 years.
I was amazed to find a single live beetle and a few live larvae in a tray with some cornmeal.

Grain mites are....I just have no words.

The easiest thing to do, and there is no need to dump your colony, is to take the lid off the container and place it somewhere that it can dry out. I place my infested tray on a bench on the front porch and let the warm, dry breeze blow over it all day. (Avoid direct sunlight as that can cook the worms and beetles.) Then I bring it in and leave it to dry further overnight, and sometimes I place a fan to blow over it.

The mites will dry out and disappear as if by magic.

Thanks so much!! I will put it beside my dehumidifier and see if that helps. It’s been a hot, muggy summer here in western PA so I’m not shocked that they sprung to life in there. I told my husband we will be getting central air for next summer!! I was looking through it yesterday and there are tons and tons of itty bitty baby worms that my girls will love!

I did both. Well, first I ordered worms. Then I got impatient and ordered a "combo" from Ebay that had beetles as well as pupa. So I technically have bought all three of the main life stages. Only thing I have not bought is eggs.

You can buy eggs? That seems sketchy to me... how do you really know they are there?

I would go with worms, and multiple orders like 1 every month for 3 months, to maximize consistency in the lifecycle for optimum production. I’m 4 months in and my baby worms are super tiny, and I’m now completely out of my original worm order.

You can buy eggs? That seems sketchy to me... how do you really know they are there?

I don't think anyone sells the eggs. For the same reason you mentioned. I figured the beetle/pupa combo was a pretty safe bet since even if they were shifty and sent me 2 month old beetles who were already done laying eggs and close to death (like people selling 7 year old chickens and claiming they still lay 300 eggs per year), the pupa had to be "fresh". Know what I mean?

Hi!
I read the first 30 pages and then skipped to this one :lol:

When we brooded our first chicks, we found a whole bunch of pupae and beetles and just tossed them in for the chicks to go crazy over. Now I wish I had saved a few for a colony... but that's because I'm not know for my patience :lol:

Yesterday, when taking care of the new round of babies in the brooder, I found 2 worms and 3 beetles, then found another 2 beetles when I was repotting some plants outside.
So all of those are now living in a container with some wheat flour and chick feed in it.

And I found a local source for more worms- going to start with just 500 as I don't want to spend the 20-30$ for a larger number...

Soon I'll go out to the barn and give the creatures a vegi. See if that makes them happy :)

Who else wants top star a farm with me? :D

Back
Top Bottom