Mealworm farming

Thanks! I think I will give them a try. If I can deal with mealworms I can suck it up and deal with roaches.
sickbyc.gif
I worked at a pet store a long long long time ago when the roach things were just starting, and we had some there. They were sold as PETS back then, and like $10 for a pair of them. Easy enough to care for, but until chickens I never thought of trying to make more bugs. Even with my lizards I preferred buying them, but the mealworms have been so easy I figure why not?
When I first started w/ the dubias I only picked them up w/ medical gloves and even then hated it, but now I bare hand it all the time. I only pick them up to put them in the feed out container, they aren't pets for me and I still don't enjoy handling them. I have no issues just picking up to put in the feed bucket, but wouldn't stand and hold and look and interact or anything like that.

Just ordered my first worms from WestKnollAmy. Can't wait to get them!

This thread has a TON of useful info, but after a few hours haven't even made it to page 20 (Amy just took the plunge into worm farming). Is there a thread or post with highlights or tips and tricks you figured out along the way? pics of different set ups?

This thread has a TON of useful info, but after a few hours haven't even made it to page 20 (Amy just took the plunge into worm farming). Is there a thread or post with highlights or tips and tricks you figured out along the way? pics of different set ups?

You will be ecstatic when you receive your mealworms from Amy!! Got my order of 5,000 in October, fed a few, & let the others start to multiply. It's scary now to look in the drawers at the thousands of tiny worms!

Last edited:

My tips would be- more surface are then depth for bedding, Putting their food on sour cream lids or the like so it doesn't get their bedding wet. I fed mine potatoes and first, but they mold and blacken quickly and mold is bad for mealies. I like carrots, they stay good for awhile and mealies seem to enjoy them. They didn't really care for celery. And the warmer it is, the faster they grow! I know lots of people on here use reptile mats under their bins, for added warmth. I don't have one, so I put mine near a heat vent, so it blow directly on the side of my tank, they all gather over there when it's cold! I use a ten gallon tank, with 2-3 inches of wheat bran in it. Just dump them in, feed them, and wait. and wait. and wait. for more mealworms. :p

Not really any way to cheat if you want ALL the goodies in the thread. The one very early (1st? 2nd?) post does a pretty good job of giving the basics, though. It took me three straight days to read the whole thread to 320 or so, so buckle down and get started. It's VERY worth doing and pays back with a lot of humor. :)

Back
Top Bottom