Mealworm farming

I have been waiting half a year.lol.

When I got them they didn't work so I kind of forgot about them, then about 3 weeks later i rememeberd about them and found the container was filled, now i have 2 full containers of beetles, going to have to find a 3rd now.

So I just get a container and put a heap in the fridge.

"They don't always do so great once they come out of the refrigerator which is why I say to just put feeders in there." What's the problem with them when they come out of the fridge? Also waht do you mean by "just put the feeders in there". In where? what feeders?

lol. Sorry for being such a novice. I really want to get the worms going, like HEAPS before Winter. It is early Autumn now.
Feel free to ask questions without apologies, that is how we all learn. What I mean is that you shouldn't put your breeding stock in the refrigerator. Only the ones that you plan on feeding to the chickens. They will go dormant and stay in the worm form for quite a while. The drastic change from coming out of the refrigerator will often cause them to pupate soon after being removed from the cold. Often times they don't have the fat storage to develop properly and will either die or be deformed. More than likely some of them will come out just fine, but since you want to keep as many as you can healthy, it is best practice to use the refrigerator for the ones that will go to the chickens in the future.

May I ask how many you started with and how many generations you have gone through?

Feel free to ask questions without apologies, that is how we all learn. What I mean is that you shouldn't put your breeding stock in the refrigerator. Only the ones that you plan on feeding to the chickens. They will go dormant and stay in the worm form for quite a while. The drastic change from coming out of the refrigerator will often cause them to pupate soon after being removed from the cold. Often times they don't have the fat storage to develop properly and will either die or be deformed. More than likely some of them will come out just fine, but since you want to keep as many as you can healthy, it is best practice to use the refrigerator for the ones that will go to the chickens in the future.

May I ask how many you started with and how many generations you have gone through?

Thanks.

O.K the fridge is the way to go and I will have to just wait for them to stagger so that I can always have meallies for the chickens.

I started with like only 100 meallies, pretty small start and like 50 died about 2 weeks into my meallie expedition. So that wasn't to good.

I got them as worms they then pupated, then beetles, then hatched and the beetles all died, worms grew up pupated again and are now at the beetle stage probably had beetles now for 2 weeks. Not sure what you count as generations, so if you understand what i just said you can tell me.lol.

Thanks.

O.K the fridge is the way to go and I will have to just wait for them to stagger so that I can always have meallies for the chickens.

I started with like only 100 meallies, pretty small start and like 50 died about 2 weeks into my meallie expedition. So that wasn't to good.

I got them as worms they then pupated, then beetles, then hatched and the beetles all died, worms grew up pupated again and are now at the beetle stage probably had beetles now for 2 weeks. Not sure what you count as generations, so if you understand what i just said you can tell me.lol.
Got it. So this is the second generation (first when you bought them, and second from the eggs of the first). Your numbers should be a lot higher now and the next generation should stagger more. What temperature do you have them at? If you want this to go faster, then you need to have high temperatures. I know you have waited 6 months, but you are only now getting to the adult beetle stage from the babies of your originals. My bin went from egg to feeder sized in one month when I upped the temperature to the low 90's. I wish I had started that way. Almost feels like a couple of wasted months with the cooler room temperature.

There has been something bothering me about this thread, and I just realized what it is.
Microwaving the substrate. I get the impression that there are those that think that THAT is what kills the mites, and it's really not. Most bugs are not affected by microwaves for some reason. Maybe they're too small, maybe they don't have enough liquid in their bodies, maybe they move out of the path of the microwaves, I don't know, and in fact, no one seems to know from a cursory check of the interwebs. And at 6:11 in the morning, I'm not doing more than a cursory check, lol.
What kills the mites is the HEAT. We know they don't like too much heat, and we know that they dry up very quickly, so heating the substrate is what kills them. However... How many people stir up the substrate after zapping it? We know microwaves can leave cold spots and if there are mites or mite eggs in those cold spots, someone could end up with a mite problem even after running their substrate through the microwave.
So to that end, I have the thought that anyone zapping their substrate should zap, stir and zap again... How long they should zap for, I have not a clue. But I do know that you're going to want to make sure the substrate gets hot all the way through.

Woo, I finally have some beetles. Well only a handful. I got my mealies around 2/19 and they got big and fat. I have tons of worms still, and lots of pupae, and now some beetles. They must have just changed because they aren't too active yet and their wings look like they're still drying. I'm trying to be good and not feed too many mealies to my chicks, but they love them, and I love watching them chase each other.

LaBella brings up an excellent point. Microwaving isn't a magic weapon against mites. You need to bring the substrate up to a high temperature that renders it too hot to touch.

But on the other hand, microwaving it for too long can set it on fire, especially rolled oats, which have very little moisture content. I've had them come out scorched and blackened.

Placing a loose cover on the container will keep the moisture in and allow it to reach a steamy condition that should kill the mite eggs. If you microwave for about a minute, take it out, lift the cover, and steam puffs out, you've probably got the job down. If steam isn't present, nuke it about 30 seconds longer.

I think the best safeguard against mites is to keep a finger-check on the substrate. Place a finger in, stir around, and if the substrate feels damp almost to the point of wetness, you need to open it up and allow it to dry out for a few days. Even not microwaving substrate can avoid mites by simply keeping it dry.

Hello Everyone,

We are looking to start raising mealworms for our girls! If anyone has any for sale, please contact me.

Thanks so much,

Katie

sickbyc.gif
I hate tomatoes.... fresh tomatoes. I like them cooked. I did find some cherry tomatoes I LOVED I even CRAVED them when I was pregnant.... didn't get enough of them. Have not found them since. Maybe this year I will plant some. Matt's Wild Cherries... if anyone wants to know.
Try Amishland Heirloom Seeds; I think I saw them there this year. :) She has a TON of odd little cherry maters that are wild-type/landrace that might be to to your taste, too.

Back
Top Bottom