Mealworm farming

Sosorry for the quoted with no reply. I'm on my phone doing this, lol!
So my total was $13 shipping included and all. But I live in CA, so the discount came to $7.
It was coupon code : BESTCUSTOMER but I think that has expired.
The retailmenot.com is where I found the coupon codes. There are others on there, just not sure what they are. Something like NEW12 is one.
Then you go to rainbowmealworms.net and there are a couple of spots you can enter your code in. The checkout page is your last chance. I would try BESTCUSTOMER, the other one is like 10% off the worms. They seemed to have good prices on worms and they are in southern CA so shipping wasn't too bad.
**whenever any website has "enter coupon" on their web page checkout, I always go to retailmenot.com or just google coupon code for that site. If its on the web, if WILL come up.

So
sorry for the quoted with no reply. I'm on my phone doing this, lol!
So my total was $13 shipping included and all. But I live in CA, so the discount came to $7.
It was coupon code : BESTCUSTOMER but I think that has expired.
The retailmenot.com is where I found the coupon codes. There are others on there, just not sure what they are. Something like NEW12 is one.
Then you go to rainbowmealworms.net and there are a couple of spots you can enter your code in. The checkout page is your last chance. I would try BESTCUSTOMER, the other one is like 10% off the worms. They seemed to have good prices on worms and they are in southern CA so shipping wasn't too bad.
**whenever any website has "enter coupon" on their web page checkout, I always go to retailmenot.com or just google coupon code for that site. If its on the web, if WILL come up.

I used the BESTCUSTOMER code originally and they discounted $7.50 from my order (basically it was 1000 mealies free). My shipping was high because I'm so far away, of course (MI). It still all worked out.
I just sorted another 300 plus pupa from the mealie drawer. It's going to be Beetle Fest pretty soon in the drawer above theirs! I may have to get another bin going . . . My chooks and ducks are going to be pretty happy with their mealie treats this winter. Any dead beetles from the bin and pupa that dry up/don't morph I add to their (the feathered ones) fermented feed each morning. They like the ff really well anyway but they tear through it even faster now, lol.

I guess when I have to go back and edit for stupid misspellings and missed letters it's time to hit the sack. Have a good night everyone.

Last edited:
I just checked the bestcustomer one and it took off shipping only (7.50) leaving 3,000 worms at $14 something. The new12 one only took off like $1.50. I'll check that other web site for other offers when I get home from work. Thanks for all the info!

I think I'm going to have to refrigerate a couple thousand mealies and stage the pupation at this point. I spent over an hour last night sorting pupa from the large bin. I quit counting at 1000. And there are at least a few hundred more this morning! I'm going to take all of the remaining mealies out of that bin and wait for the other bin to mature. I think I'm going to be overrun by beetles very soon . . .
I did clean out a lot of dead meal worms, pupa that dried out/never morphed, dead beetles, etc. and added it to the chickens' wet feed this morning. Talk about diving into their breakfast!!! Lol. The turkey hen got a handful, too, so now she won't leave me alone - follows me from one end of her pen to the other begging for more . . .

My colony was attacked by ants today. After nearly three hours of shaking and killing ants, there are some stragglers but the ants are mostly gone. How likely would the colony recover? I was gone for only a few hours so the ants couldn't have swarmed for longer than that. After six months, the colony was thriving! There are still movements, but most of the beetles are now immobile.

Unless the ants also ate all your eggs, you should be able to recover. Just give it some time and keep doing what you've always done.

Last edited:
My colony was attacked by ants today. After nearly three hours of shaking and killing ants, there are some stragglers but the ants are mostly gone. How likely would the colony recover? I was gone for only a few hours so the ants couldn't have swarmed for longer than that. After six months, the colony was thriving! There are still movements, but most of the beetles are now immobile.

Had you taken it outside? I know I need to expand mine so that I can eventually have enough to feed out but I can't do it in the house so ants are definitely a consideration.

Back
Top Bottom