Mealworm farming

We have big ants in our bins or at least a couple, any advice for getting rid of the ants but not hurting the remaining mealies and beetles? There are some still left.
I don't have a meal worm bin anymore, but still have my dubias and I have tried nearly everything to keep ants out of my insects, the only thing I have found that works is a thin layer of Vaseline on the container. Each container is different you need to make sure the layer completely circles the container and is at the level on or in the container that blocks all entry. I have my dubias in an old freezer and the first time I vaselined it I did it on the top ledge/lip of it but quickly found the ants had another entry point lower, as soon as I lubed up the inside topsides of the container no more ants.

I had tried all the other suggestions (nothing touching the walls, feet of the container in cups of oil etc..) the ants like squirrels found a go around for them all, this has worked for almost a year now.

Last edited:
I would try placing ant bait outside the dubia bin. Make sure the bait can't come in contact with the roaches. Keep the petroleum jelly on the outside of the bin to prevent contaminated ants from entering. Never spray for ants. Spraying interrupts their scent trail and the stranded ants will start a new colony.

One of my 22 week old hens laid her first egg today!!! I wish I had some mealworms to give her as a special treat, but all of mine are tiny baby worms right now.

One of my 22 week old hens laid her first egg today!!! I wish I had some mealworms to give her as a special treat, but all of mine are tiny baby worms right now.

Yay! I've been glad for our bin, our lonely little clueless 4-day old OEGB wasn't really eating. But he knew just what to do with a mealie. Had to entice him with a bit of stringy peach bit drug through some clean sand so it won't jam up his crop. Poor dear was kinda upset, thought it was another meal worm. Ha!

Yay! I've been glad for our bin, our lonely little clueless 4-day old OEGB wasn't really eating. But he knew just what to do with a mealie. Had to entice him with a bit of stringy peach bit drug through some clean sand so it won't jam up his crop. Poor dear was kinda upset, thought it was another meal worm. Ha!

Poor baby, what a mean trick! I think it's worse that I'm laughing about it though.

I got mine from petsmart, which isn't that great a deal. However there are a number of members of this board that sell them in bulk, which is the best way to go if you want to have a lot of them producing faster for you.

Back
Top Bottom