Mealworm farming

I am wondering if I can manage to farm the meal worms I find in the compost I have on my farm. So do I just get some containers and then what? When they are in the worm stage do I dry them like the ones I buy or just freeze them and use them like that? Are they good for the chickens in the frozen state?

Yes, stay away from the giant mealworms. They have been treated with insect growth regulating hormones to get them to grow very large, and when you're able to get them to pupate into adults, the adults are sterile.

Super worms are a different kind of worm, and they have different needs to get them to go to adult stage. Not only that. but they take much much longer to get to adult stage.

Last edited:
Yes, stay away from the giant mealworms. They have been treated with insect growth regulating hormones to get them to grow very large, and when you're able to get them to pupate into adults, the adults are sterile.

Super worms are a different kind of worm, and they have different needs to get them to go to adult stage. Not only that. but they take much much longer to get to adult stage.
Yeah I gave in and ordered 1,000 online lol hope it goes well

I am sure they will do just fine. They really are pretty hardy things, and 1000 is a good number to start with if you're willing to let them grow, and in a few generations you;ll have enough to feed and freeze for your flock.

Back
Top Bottom