Mealworm farming

I set up a 500 ct farm last Wednesday. I gave them rolled oats and some carrots in a 10 gallon aquarium.

It "seems like" that some are growing larger, but some are also dying (unless they are getting ready to change to the pupa stage). Some are black and look dead though.

But the biggest thing I see is that there are skins all over the top of the oatmeal from the worms shedding. Like LOTS of skins all over the place!

I did find one pupa and I sat it on a 3"x3" sheet of paper before I went to bed, only to find out in the morning that the paper had moved about 4" and I can't fund the pupa anymore.

I also took a peanut butter jar and put about 1" of water in it and sat it on the glass floor inside the aquarium (so it won't tip) and to give them more moisture - I don't know if that's necessary or not, but it seems so dry in there.

So am I doing something wrong? Why does it seem like a lot of them are dying? How can I tell dead from getting ready to go to pupa? I'm not certain how fresh my rolled oats (like oatmeal) was and wonder if that might be the problem????

Thank you for your help.

I set up a 500 ct farm last Wednesday. I gave them rolled oats and some carrots in a 10 gallon aquarium.

It "seems like" that some are growing larger, but some are also dying (unless they are getting ready to change to the pupa stage). Some are black and look dead though.

But the biggest thing I see is that there are skins all over the top of the oatmeal from the worms shedding. Like LOTS of skins all over the place!

I did find one pupa and I sat it on a 3"x3" sheet of paper before I went to bed, only to find out in the morning that the paper had moved about 4" and I can't fund the pupa anymore.

I also took a peanut butter jar and put about 1" of water in it and sat it on the glass floor inside the aquarium (so it won't tip) and to give them more moisture - I don't know if that's necessary or not, but it seems so dry in there.

So am I doing something wrong? Why does it seem like a lot of them are dying? How can I tell dead from getting ready to go to pupa? I'm not certain how fresh my rolled oats (like oatmeal) was and wonder if that might be the problem????

Thank you for your help.

Sometimes worms die or are weakened in shipping or while sitting around in the store, so some deaths right after setting up the colony are expected. Some of the lethargy you're seeing is undoubtably due to molting and pupating. Right before or molt or transition to the pupal stage the larvae become immobile. The large number of skins you're seeing suggests that many of them are molting. So, I would suggest just waiting and watching over the next few days. I would recommend switching to wheat bran if it is available, or at least add some unmedicated chick crumbles to the oats. I would highly advise removing the dish of water immediately. Nothing good can come from that. They really don't need moisture beyond the vegetables that you're adding.

Last edited:
I am wondering if I can manage to farm the meal worms I find in the compost I have on my farm. So do I just get some containers and then what? When they are in the worm stage do I dry them like the ones I buy or just freeze them and use them like that? Are they good for the chickens in the frozen state?

Those worms are probably a different species and would likely require different rearing methods. I only feed live worms, so I can't really speak to the preservation questions.

Thank you for your help.

I am really new to this too. I did worry at first about the immobile ones. I set them aside and found the turned into pupae and did not die. So sometimes they get that way when shedding or pupating. the shed skins i think are proof your doing it right.I've had a small number of dead ones but was told that was normal. So right now I have pupae and about 40 Beatles going strong.
I apologize because I don't know who posted it, but it was one of the main people here. They used tule fabric to put the lettece etc on. It keeps theories food on top and not where the worms bury it. Helps keep things less moldy. They used a quilting circle to hold the tule, but until I get one I just put the food one the tule fabric. I really apologize for not knowing who posted it. I'm on my phone and can't search it too well right now. It's a fabulous way to keep the worms from burying food

Started my mealworm farm Wednesday! The girls peck at my door to give them treats. Its like they are saying "I know you have worms in there now hand them over!"

I can see it now, people being held hostage by the chicken mafia for mealworms.

gig.gif
yuckyuck.gif

Shhhh!!! Don't give them any ideas!

I have mealworms, but I have been feeding chicks a lot too. So, I just ordered 2000 more from Rainbowmealworms.net I also used the BestCustomer coupon code and it took off $7.25. My total was $9 I use the one bin method, but I check twice a day for pupae and put them in a small butter dish(in the larger bin) I also had ants try to attack so I have a Sevin dust hill around the container. Lol mine are outside and it's been 100* here in TX for 2 weeks. I had them inside at first, but we keep it way too cold for them in our house.

Back
Top Bottom