Mealworm farming

welcome redfordchick
welcome-byc.gif

Here's what the newspaper layers look like in my beetle bin. I have five sheets. I sprinkle some substrate and place a baby carrot half on each layer except the top one. The beetles then inhabit each layer of paper, happily procreating as well as eating the paper. I also have a couple toilet paper tubes for their added pleasure and well being. If you were a beetle, what's not to love?

The beetle tray sits atop the egg collecting tray which has a lid with a cutout so the eggs can drop into it from the beetle tray. The beetle tray has a cutout bottom with screening glued over it so the eggs drop through into the egg tray. This setup is a lot roomier than the small, 3 drawer file box I was using, and the beetles can't escape this one. It measures 13"x10"x3" and takes up only a tiny bit more space than the file box did. I have another tray the same size for mature larva to grow through their stages and pupate.

lau.gif
Knew what you meant, but couldn't resist... I think it's normal for the PO to bring "live animals" to the door if they are being delivered, rather than placed in the mailbox. Glad you got them!

:lau Knew what you meant, but couldn't resist... I think it's normal for the PO to bring "live animals" to the door if they are being delivered, rather than placed in the mailbox. Glad you got them!
it is so cold here I'm suprised he didn't shove them in my mailbox. I had been waiting to make the trek out as soon as he came. Pretty long driveway, and it has been in the negatives with the wind chill.

I just had my first pupae turn to darkling beetles, and right now there are three beetles. The beetles seem very inactive right now, i havn't seen them eat and it seems like they mostly just burrow down and hide all day. Is this normal for the first few days of the adult stage?

Thanks, any and all answers are appreciated =)

[COLOR=333333]I just had my first pupae turn to darkling beetles, and right now there are three beetles. The beetles seem very inactive right now, i havn't seen them eat and it seems like they mostly just burrow down and hide all day. Is this normal for the first few days of the adult stage?[/COLOR]

[COLOR=333333]Thanks, any and all answers are appreciated =)[/COLOR]
very normal. They burrow to lay eggs

Back
Top Bottom