Mealworm farming

Looking for pupae is like playing "Where's Waldo" except more difficult (in oats). It feels like I'm going to go cross-eyed sometimes, and I just check the surface. Probably why I only look for a couple minutes a few times per day. Sometimes in the middle of the night, if I wake up and can't go back to sleep (which has been happening frequently).

Yea i am feeling anti-oats for the next generation...i am thinking of throwing some oats and dry cat food and chook pellets in a blender and making it, not powder, but fine cut...

Looking for pupae is like playing "Where's Waldo" except more difficult (in oats). It feels like I'm going to go cross-eyed sometimes, and I just check the surface. Probably why I only look for a couple minutes a few times per day. Sometimes in the middle of the night, if I wake up and can't go back to sleep (which has been happening frequently).

My sister borrowed our blender a while back. She moved into our uncle's house, then came over and asked if she could borrow it again. I told her she never brought it back. Our blender is lost forever, it seems. That's why I never lend out my stuff.

What do ya'll reckon is the maximum Darkling beetles you would fit in a takeaway container....I currently have 50 in mine and I am a bit worried about overcrowding...thoughts? theories?

I'm able to use a sifter with the cornmeal. Makes it super easy. Also, I add thin layer of chicken crumble over top. It really increased production. I guess because it is high in protein

Just have to share: Purchased a small container of mealworms (100) at the local pet store this past weekend. My poor kids really think Mama has lost it. I had a discarded plastic shoe box without a lid and put the little guys in there. Used one of the kids baby blankets to wrap around it to keep it nice and dry and dark. I had a container of oats in the pantry from a batch of Oatmeal Cookies that never happened. Eventually I am going to move the wormies to a 3 drawer bin but I've got to get all the junk out of it first and then cut the bottom and add the screening. But I'm just happy to start!! And the funny part...I don't even have my chickens yet!! Just figured that by the time they arrive in Mid April, I will be well on the way to having enough worms to share with them!

Just have to share: Purchased a small container of mealworms (100) at the local pet store this past weekend. My poor kids really think Mama has lost it. I had a discarded plastic shoe box without a lid and put the little guys in there. Used one of the kids baby blankets to wrap around it to keep it nice and dry and dark. I had a container of oats in the pantry from a batch of Oatmeal Cookies that never happened. Eventually I am going to move the wormies to a 3 drawer bin but I've got to get all the junk out of it first and then cut the bottom and add the screening. But I'm just happy to start!! And the funny part...I don't even have my chickens yet!! Just figured that by the time they arrive in Mid April, I will be well on the way to having enough worms to share with them!
Have fun!!!

Hey there K!
welcome-byc.gif
and welcome to the thread!

It is exciting isn't it? I did the same thing and had my worms months before the chicks. Just want to throw this out there... I wouldn't feed the worms to the chicks till they are at least 3 weeks old. Also, once you start feeding them anything but chick feed, you'll need to provide them with chick grit. just a heads up.

Back
Top Bottom