Mealworm farming

Ok, thanks! I may have to try and find a way to raise the temp without raising it in the whole house... the substrate is wheat bran, mostly, with just a small amount of oat bran that I wanted to use up. I add more wheat bran about once a month.

Ok, thanks! I may have to try and find a way to raise the temp without raising it in the whole house... the substrate is wheat bran, mostly, with just a small amount of oat bran that I wanted to use up. I add more wheat bran about once a month.

You can read backward through the thread as not too long ago several folks were talking about low wattage heating pads that they placed under their farms. I don't use them, but I guess it's one way to super charge them and get them to do what they do faster.

So i was looking for glue in the wardrobe i used to keep my mealworms in and found a worm....alive and kicking! It has been nearly 4mths since I moved them out! He has moulted once and had no moisture and maybe a couple rolled oats for food!

I keep my farm in the laundry room. Small room with a wall heater, so only that room is 80 degrees.

So i was looking for glue in the wardrobe i used to keep my mealworms in and found a worm....alive and kicking! It has been nearly 4mths since I moved them out! He has moulted once and had no moisture and maybe a couple rolled oats for food!
Wardrobe,
smile.png

Is there a tread discussing raising mealworms?  I've looked around but can't seem to find anything recent. 

I started a mealworm farm a month ago and have so many pupae that I'm getting worried!  BUT, I want to be able to freeze many, many thousands for next winter since my girls don't like snow and there's no bugs to eat in the winter anyway.  Don't know when enough will be enough and in the meantime, my mealies are growing fast and furious!

[COLOR=800080]UPDATES[/COLOR]
****  BYCer's mealworm farms ..... condensed information from 3 perspectives!!  *****

Gallo Del Cielo's page: https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/how-to-raise-mealworms

My page:https://www.backyardchickens.com/a/mealworm-fam-experiences

Amy's page: http://www.westknollfarm.com

[COLOR=800080]Some basic and often asked information:[/COLOR]

Life cycle stages... this is relative to conditions such as temperature, food source, etc:

Egg Incubation:  4-19 days (usually 4-7). Another source says 20-40 days 

Larva: 10 weeks. Visible after about a week 

Pupa: 6-18 (18-24?) days 

Beetle and Egg Laying:   8-12 weeks (followed by death). Egg laying starts 4-19 days (average 12) after emergence 

[COLOR=800080]Reliable sources for buying meal worms (in no particular order):[/COLOR]

BYC members:

crazy huhn: [email protected]

Amy: www.westknollfarm.com email is [email protected]

exoticnutrition.com

speedyworm.com

southernbaitworms.com

7/23/11 - ETA:  My colonies are in full force and many have joined the 'farm'!  /img/smilies/smile.png  So much wonderful information and insight!

Trish
/img/smilies/yippiechickie.gif

First timer here. Mine are doing great too. I'll read up here to find out how to freeze dry them, but it freaks me out thinking I'd have to put live worms in my freezer. Eeuuwww!

First timer here. Mine are doing great too. I'll read up here to find out how to freeze dry them, but it freaks me out thinking I'd have to put live worms in my freezer. Eeuuwww!
I started a mealworm farm support grou . Come join us would love to have yo . Facebook/groups/_mealworm farming

Can I ask a simple question: how much work is mealworm harvesting? do you really have to pick them one by one? How much work is the harvest of one pound of mealworms?

Back
Top Bottom