Mealworm farming

I started a mealworm farm support grou . Come join us would love to have yo . Facebook/groups/_mealworm farming

I don't see the last post I sent you saying I tried to find your group but couldn't. Send me an invite through fb please.My name is Lynn Hill. Be sure it's my pic without sunglasses as there's an old account on there I can't get to or delete. Thanks.

Can I ask a simple question: how much work is mealworm harvesting? do you really have to pick them one by one? How much work is the harvest of one pound of mealworms?

Mealworm harvesting can be backbreaking work... just kidding of course... stick your claw in the bucket and haul a handful out! You'll no doubt also get some frass, some shed exoskeletons, some beetles (dead and alive) as well as some pupa, and maybe even some of the substrate (wheat bran/oats/etc.). The chickens will gobble all of that up except the exoskeletons and frass... and that will blow away on the wind.

Did I mention to keep the worm bucket down wind of you when you're clawing around in it? If not, those exoskeletons are lighter than air, and it seems the frass can be as well. You really don't want that stuff blowing in your face... even if you ARE wearing a face breathing mask! If you try to get 1 pound of mealworms one-by-one, you'll be picking worms for a VERY long time!

Don't be squeamish now... reach right in there and grab some gusto! Your chooks will love you for it!
wink.png

Good one, Latestarter. Glib, I find that if I have a few sheets of newspaper in the bin, they huddle in there, just waiting to be spooned out. Andf like Latestarter said, the chickens love the shed skins, the dead beetles, most anything that comes with the worms. They seem to know when the claw of death is descending and try to wriggle away.

Mealworm harvesting can be backbreaking work... just kidding of course... stick your claw in the bucket and haul a handful out!  You'll no doubt also get some frass, some shed exoskeletons, some beetles (dead and alive) as well as some pupa, and maybe even some of the substrate (wheat bran/oats/etc.). The chickens will gobble all of that up except the exoskeletons and frass... and that will blow away on the wind. 

Did I mention to keep the worm bucket down wind of you when you're clawing around in it? If not, those exoskeletons are lighter than air, and it seems the frass can be as well. You really don't want that stuff blowing in your face... even if you ARE wearing a face breathing mask! If you try to get 1 pound of mealworms one-by-one, you'll be picking worms for a VERY long time!

Don't be squeamish now... reach right in there and grab some gusto!  Your chooks will love you for it! ;)

Mealworm farming is about the easiest farming anyone could ever do. I keep mine in a Sterilite drawer in my livingroom. They won't crawl out even the beetles. They just live in their own little world. When we started this, I said NO WAY I'd handle them but I love to fish and I knew it was time to put on my big girl panties and go for it. As much as I find grub type worms disgusting, the mealworms don't bother me. You can always use a scoop to pick them up if you don't want to handle them.

Back
Top Bottom