Mealworm farming

Ummm to the best of my (admittedly limited) knowledge, the mites eat the bran/grain... they are GRAIN mites, not carnivores or omnivores. The only detrimental effect I can think of, reasonably come up with, would be they are so numerous that they "smother" the pupae since they (the pupae) can't really move. Once the pupae die, they would of course desiccate (dry out to the husks you mentioned). The beetles can move and therefore wouldn't be able to be smothered and the larvae (worms) tunnel under the bran which would scrape any mites off allowing them to breathe. I have no idea why you've started raising "super worms" but wouldn't complain... Sounds like a good deal to me.

Thanks for the responses. I really didn't think the mites could be that big of a problem, but maybe they did smother the pupae. Something sure has done them in.

I'm getting tons of larvae. I will wait to see if the newer hatches manage to morph into the pupa stage, and I will report back.

I oven treated the daylights out of my bran, so it appears the mites are under control at last. If I get another bloom, I shall be washing all the beetles and worms, and replacing all the bedding. I hate mites, especially when they go walk-about. Creepy things.

Thanks for the responses. I really didn't think the mites could be that big of a problem, but maybe they did smother the pupae. Something sure has done them in.

I'm getting tons of larvae. I will wait to see if the newer hatches manage to morph into the pupa stage, and I will report back.

I oven treated the daylights out of my bran, so it appears the mites are under control at last. If I get another bloom, I shall be washing all the beetles and worms, and replacing all the bedding. I hate mites, especially when they go walk-about. Creepy things.
Me Too!! ......and they spread rapidly over all surfaces thru the tiniest cracks.
Had/have grain mites in a certain brand of chicken feed....freaked me out at first,
but I have found DE controls them easily if applied promptly...course that doesn't help with mealworm bin/bedding infestation.

For the benefit of BYCers who haven't yet experienced grain mites, they first appear as a "fog" on the sides of your worm trays. If you're particularly busy and preoccupied and don't notice them right away, you will see "drifts" of a fine "sawdust" on the shelves and floor under the trays.

I used to have a reputation as a fastidious housekeeper. Hah! My worm trays are a centerpiece on the shelves beside my wood stove in my living room. It looks like I haven't vacuumed all summer. Which I haven't.

I freaked out when I had my first mite infestation several years ago. As with anything small and novel, I examined them under a hand lens to see what they looked like. You need to get your eye right on them to see, and I inadvertently snorted some up my nose. Good times.

That time, all my beetles and worms got a good hosing with a change of bedding. Now I just take the lids off the trays and let my arid climate do its thing on them. I've gotten lazy or more efficient, take your choice.

@azygous
gig.gif
Love that story!

I recently got a microscope and am sure I will look at all kinds of things. I got it for looking at poop really!
sickbyc.gif

I was worried about DE causing lacerations in my chickens but one of you two @aart explained that the sharp edges are rubbed off in the crop. My second concern would be breathing it since I always see the dust (from feed) floating in the air. But since I ferment, that is only during the initial mixing. And I could protect myself during that time just like when scooping poop or dealing with the mealworm dust, which is very bad during frass sifting time.

Thank y'all for the insight!
highfive.gif

Vacuum?
hide.gif
Just kidding I have wooden floors. They stink less than carpet with 3 (65#) dogs in the house.

ETA: I microwave my bran. No problems SO FAR.

Last edited:
Reporting back on my pupae situation. I'm getting seriously creeped out here. I have a huge population of meal worms in the larvae stage, and they continue to grow to an inch and a quarter long and proportionally fat. Still zero, that's ZERO pupae! I sifted through the thousands of worms and could find just two desiccated husks of former pupae.

I conquered the grain mite infestation, so that is not an issue any longer. I've been very diligent about providing carrots for their water needs. The beetles are all doing well, having lots of sex, laying lots of eggs, and I'm getting normal hatches. Everyone seems apparently healthy.

Even the worms I gather into tiny cartons to keep in the run as treats are not developing any pupae. Those larvae also just keep growing to astounding size.

I'm stumped. I need some serious meal worm wranglers to chime in on this situation. Please! This is driving me bonkers!

Back
Top Bottom