Mealworm farming

Quote:
You are very welcome! Glad they arrived!
I use bread or fruit to attract them so I can shake them off in another bin. Takes forever like that but since I can't sit and scoop them up for long periods of time I try anything to shorten my moving process.

I put a lot of pupae together and if I want to move any I just scoop up the beetles as they emerge. They are usually a light brown but they move around looking for something to hide under or fruit/veggies.

I have been experimenting with small tea strainers, spoons, soup ladles etc, trying to find something that will work for me. I would rather train them to just go into a measuring cup for me but the only way that has worked is to put wet food in one. Then I get everybody! Little babies, big worms, beetles, party animals....no wait, wrong tub!
lol.png

I got my worms today and they look GREAT!! big ones, little ones, bugs!! Thank you so much Amy!! You sent soooo many!!! My chicks love you!!
lol.png

Quote:
Great to hear, Gypsi!!

We are on a roll with growing out meal worms for our chickens. So many new folks and so many happy chickens!
wee.gif

Quote:
Kizanne,

Do you have pictures of this?

LibertyChick

Ok better late than never. I started a new thread cause it will be picture heavy and didn't want to junk this thread up so check for mealworm sifter thread.

Quote:
Kizanne,

LibertyChick

Ok better late than never. I started a new thread cause it will be picture heavy and didn't want to junk this thread up so check for mealworm sifter thread.

Perhaps you could use a screened splash lid for pans? they cost $1-$2 at Big Lots or the Dollar Store.

Quote:
Kizanne,

LibertyChick

Perhaps you could use a screened splash lid for pans? they cost $1-$2 at Big Lots or the Dollar Store.

I have some very, very small flies (I think) in my bin. They are so small it is hard to tell, and they don't attempt to fly out of the container. I have successfully killed a few between my finger tips. There aren't many yet, but should I do something to keep them from getting out of control?

Back
Top Bottom