Mealworm farming

Quote:
I LOVE it when someone is converted from eek to ahhhs! Some people still think I'm nuts but at least kinda understand the obsession when they actually see the farm in action!

Quote:
First....I like your idea of counting out 100 and x10. fyi though... 1 cup of worms equals 1000 full grown mealies so if there are smaller mealies, the count is a bit higher, which is okay cause most of us who do or have sold them tend to give 10% extra just because.....

About dead beetles, after a little while, usually all that's left are the wings and the skeleton of the head. Just make sure that if you're picking out dead beetles to only pick out the ones whose legs are missing. If it still has it's leg there is a chance it's just in a deep sleep, which they seem to do now and then.

I thought I remembered reading that, but wasn't sure enough to post it.

Oh and that's good to know about the legs and deep sleep, had no idea. I don't plan on picking them out very often I tried the other day that's a bit to tedious for me. If I had any sleeping beauties they got tossed to the chickens who had a good ol' time eating them, but they were already in a dubia frenzy they would have eaten anything that hit the ground!!!
lol.png

Last edited:
Quote:
Ever watch the Animal Planet's "Shark Week"? Basically the same w/ feathers. A lot of jumping, diving, running, pushing, tearing of dubia flesh, white dubia insides dripping from the beaks.
hide.gif

There needs to be a disclaimer, maintain a still and upright position, no sudden moves, keep track of all small appendages especially the fingers used to feed.
hide.gif
lau.gif

I will see if my husbands phone will make a short video of it.

Last edited:
Yeah! I finally got beetles today!
ya.gif
My son and I just stared in the box for a while amazed. I can't believe how grossed out I was and now I can't get enough. Still don't want to touch them but at least I can look and not want to be sick
hide.gif

S.L.Swope :

ya.gif
My son and I just stared in the box for a while amazed. I can't believe how grossed out I was and now I can't get enough. Still don't want to touch them but at least I can look and not want to be sick
hide.gif

yeah the transformation in *us* is as interesting as that of the bugs...

I was looking at my first pupa on christmas day and thinking "that's kinda creepy... er... weird.... er... cool"
lol.png

S.L.Swope :

ya.gif
hide.gif

First "Chick TV" and now "Mealie movies"
gig.gif

Congrats on the beetles!​

Back
Top Bottom