Mealworm farming

So just so I understand how the three drawer thing works... Top is beetles, middle is pupae bottom is worms. Am I correct?
Michael

Here's my understanding.

Top is beetles laying eggs
Middle eggs grow to larva (worms) either leave until pupa or move to 3 for pupa
Bottom is pupa that turn into beetles who are moved back up to top bin.

My 5000 worms are supposed to arrive tomorrow. I'm using the 3 bin drawer set up.

When I get them - do I need to do anything special - like sort through them somehow or freeze some for future?
Or do I just dump them into the middle drawer until they turn into pupa?

I have in my refrigerator some baby carrots for them - how many should I put into the drawer?
Should it be placed on a papertowel or just laid on the wheat flour?
I'm wondering if I should mix some Flockraiser in with the wheat flour - or maybe some oat bran in there?

I am looking forward to this - I think it will be a cool way teach my kids the lifecycle process and feed my chicks some treats at the same time!

I was told that when I got my mealies to not use the substrate that they came in. So you are supposed to use a strainer to sort the mealies and their substrate, but I just dumped them in. Especially where these are your first mealworms, and you AREN'T adding to an existing colony, I wouldn't worry about it.

On the freezing... If you are going to FREEZE them, they will be dead and only good for feeding out to the animals. But if you REFRIDGERATE them, you can pull them out later to add to your colony. They only need substrate during this time, NO veggies or fruit!

On the carrots, umm, IDK. I only have 100+/- mealies so I don't know how many 5000 eat. I would put in like 6 and see how fast that goes. The other thing to think about is that they will be thirsty from being shipped and they will probably eat a lot more the first couple of days. With carrots, just laid on the wheat flour is fine, but if you are going to do anything juicy, like apples, or melons, then I would put it on something so you don't get the substrate wet.

You can put anything you want for grains/feeds in there. Whatever nutrients you want your chickens to have, give to the mealworms and the chickens will get it through them.

Yup, I ran out of wormies too. Just beetles and they are so boring!!

The beetles don't have to be boring. It doesn't take many to produce lots of eggs/future wormies, and the spares are okay to feed to the chicks/chickens too. So throw them a beetle every now and then. They are happy with anything buggy. And I promise, the beetles don't bite!

Back
Top Bottom